REFLECTOR: compressor

Brainard, Jerry Jerry.Brainard at anthem.com
Mon Mar 5 14:49:59 CST 2007


There are three factors to consider.  Tank size, pump capacity and duty cycle.

I have an 80 gallon tank with 15 CFM (cubic feet per minute) @ 90 psi (pounds per sq inch) = 5.5 CLM (cubic liters per minute) 6.2 bar and 75% duty cycle.  Even with this size, when running any of the big tools, the duty cycle (percent of time that the pump runs) is over 50%.

I found that price was very sensitive to duty cycle.  My brother does automotive paint work and suggested that unless I was doing commercial work, I should not pay for the duty cycle and additional rugged components.  Actually, he said my arms would give up before the compressor.  He was right.  I found that there are many reasonably priced compressors in an acceptable range.  I found one on sale from a reputable manufacturer and that's how I ended up with the one that I have.

All of that said.  I also run most of the tools on a 30 year old, 10 gallon, 1 HP system when not in the shop.  Works it hard, but it still does the job as long as I don't over do it.

As to horsepower - I think mine is rated at 5, but I really don't think it's accurate.  Start up is 30 amp @ 220 volts.  I don't know the run current.  


- jerry

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of michalk
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2007 1:35 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: compressor

If I recall correctly, they use a dubious method of rating compressor horsepower.  It's either starting current, or stalling current which doesn't help at all.  The specs to look for are airflow at pressure.  I don't remember how to equalize the numbers .. divide one by the other, or multiply them.  Walk around the store comparing them on that number.

Laurence Coen wrote:
> Ben,
> 
> My tank is 13 Gal., and trust me, that is way too small.  My 
> Brother-in-law has automotive repair shop and his compressor is a true 
> 2 HP 240 volt sitting on top of a vertical 30 Gal. tank.  That's what 
> I wish I had.  It makes way more air than my so called 4 HP compressor.
> 
> Larry Coen
> 
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Benedikt Harren" <benedikt.harren at airovision.de>
> To: "'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'" 
> <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Monday, March 05, 2007 5:25 AM
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: compressor
> 
> 
> Larry,
> 
> How big was your tank? I am in germany and output is most probably 
> going to be in liters. I'll try to get a decent powered one with a big tank...
> 
> Ben
> 
> -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
> Von: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] Im 
> Auftrag von Laurence Coen
> Gesendet: Montag, 5. März 2007 18:11
> An: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Betreff: Re: REFLECTOR: compressor
> 
> Ben,
> 
> I have a compressor that is labeled 4 HP.  I don't know how they can 
> claim that since the power in is 1800 watts which is only 2.4 HP.  To 
> make a more accurate comparison, look at the volume delivered at a 
> certain pressure as in cuft/min.  I think that the actual HP of my 
> compressor is less than 2 HP not 4 HP.  It was barely able to do the 
> job.  A large volume tank will also help keep the pressure steady.
> 
> Larry Coen
> N136LC
> SE/RG Franklin/IVO
> 
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Benedikt Harren" <benedikt.harren at ebs.de>
> To: <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Monday, March 05, 2007 2:12 AM
> Subject: REFLECTOR: compressor
> 
> 
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I am new to the reflector. I bought Bob Hugel's Velocity Elite RG 
>> project (fast built wings & fuselage) and shipped it to Germany where 
>> I currently live. I just moved it into my shop 2 days ago and am now 
>> configuring the shop, getting the tools etc. For that matter I was 
>> wondering how big of a compressor I would need to drive a couple of 
>> air tools (one at a time; circular cutter; grinder; dremel). I am 
>> currently looking at 2-3 HP compressors...
>>
>> So far I have been browsing through a couple of the builders' sites 
>> that are out there to familiarize myself with the projects and the 
>> people that are part of the commmunity... I haven't been on a mailing 
>> list like that before and love the concept!
>>
>> I'd appreciate the input
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Ben Harren
>> N888GF; first things first :-)
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose 
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives: 
>> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose 
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives: 
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose 
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives: 
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose 
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives: 
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, 
is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential
and privileged information or otherwise protected by law.  Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy
all copies of the original message.


More information about the Reflector mailing list