REFLECTOR: Wing root cooler
Christopher Barber
CBarber at TexasAttorney.net
Sat Jun 30 20:47:11 CDT 2007
Al,
I regret that I don't recall, if I ever knew, but did you incorperate the "old" style arm pit scoops on your 20b install? I installed armpit scoops for my 13b (which, btw, I am getting to run better everyday.....ran it with the IVO prop, thus, with a load for the first time day before yesterday....found manifold pressure lines which didn't seal properly, fixed those and now have a pretty smooth running rotary).
My armpit scoops will be flowing into a chamber in front of the radiator and secondary oil cooler. The radiator mounted in a similiar manner as in the car and the secondary oil cooler is mounted just below it with air coming from the same chamber.. The NACA's will be used for air to the Mistral Intake, additional cooling....and the rest (intercooler when/if turbo is installed), etc.
Any pictures of your layout, other than the wing cooling chambers would be appreciated. Thanks.
All he best,
Chris
----- Original Message -----
From: Al Gietzen
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2007 2:03 PM
Subject: REFLECTOR: Wing root cooler
Ditto me on the congrats! Now you can stop in and see us again in Utah on your way to Idaho. I really want to see your bird with the cooling vents in the wing roots.
Hopefully I'm not too far behind you. If you posted your flight testing experiences on the reflector, plus any squawks that you learned from, I missed it. Assuming I missed it, any chance you can post this again?
Dennis;
I have found that the wing root installation hasn't lived up to my expectations. I initially had limited cooling by either the oil cooler in one wing, or the coolant radiator in the other. This was without much of a scoop under the wing. I added a scoop to the oil cooler inlet, and that improved things enough to allow me to continue flying. Fortunately the in-cowl radiator, with its sort of P-51 style armpit scoop, handles the coolant heat load just fine, so it that hasn't been an issue.
Now with the warm summer temps I am finding the oil temps getting higher than I'd like in a sustained climb, so I am currently setting up to do some measurements of pressure differentials; and considering ideas for improving air flow. My temperature measurements make it clear that the issue is air flow, not oil flow. It may just be my exit fairing design (see photo), but based on my experience and evaluations, and that of an EZ pilot who also tried a wing root oil cooler, it seems there may not be low pressure at the upper surface in that position. Of course, we pursued this approach based on Alan Shaw's experience of putting oil coolers in the wing root, which he said worked wonderfully; so who knows.
I'll let you know what I figure out.
Al
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070630/21550042/attachment.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list