REFLECTOR: Cowl slot

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Fri Jun 29 12:36:43 CDT 2007


Chuck,

Not sure I follow.  My V is flying, so I'm not doing the cowl from scratch.  I have
the IVO prop and I have to place the rear of the cowl all the way down before I can
slip the cowl under the existing flange.  In this case, do you still think that the
slot should not go all the way around?  Seems like all the way around should be OK.  I
assume you haven't had any problems with vibration.

John

Chuck wrote:

> John, you probably already know this, but just for others who wish to do
> this, here's how I did it. I have cowl slots on my plane and it works great
> together with the piano wire attach rods on the wing root. The cowls can be
> removed in less than a minute.
>
> The cowl slot was pretty easy to build. All we did was do the normal cut
> along the dotted line (you'll need to leave a few small areas uncut for
> support which you cut afterwards), and just duct tape the firewall side of
> the cut before you install the 2-3" wide double layer of heavy bid that is
> on the inside of the cowl. After you cut it and pop it off, you trim it down
> to about 3/4" extending out to from the cowl piece. Next you put a double
> layer of duct tape the 3/4" extension and put a double layer of bid on the
> firewall side to capture the 3/4" extension.
>
> Be careful to put on enough duct tape to make sure you don't epoxy the to
> pieces together because it's a job to get them apart if you do. Also, I
> didn't make the slot the full 360 degrees because it won't come off unless
> you leave about 6-8" on each side from the centerline on the firewall side.
> The 3/4" cowl flange goes all the way around to seal out water. Don't be
> surprise that you have to sand the flange down to get it to slide easily
> into the slot. The cowls need to tip up slightly to come off. You may also
> need to make a prop blade cutout on the bottom flange to tip it into the
> slot. You should end up with a very tight line between the cowl and
> fuselage.
>
> I think I sent some pics before, but I'll see if I can find some and resend
> them.  I think other people have done this to their V's, so they might have
> better instructions. I did mine 10 yrs ago and don't remember everything
> that well. Good luck.
>
> Chuck H
>
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
>
> > From: John Dibble <aminetech at bluefrog.com>
>
> >
> > I'm also interested.  I'm planning on doing the same.  I prefer not to
> > have to redo the firewall, so my plan is just to add a 2" fiberglass strip
> > which will adhere 3/4" on the existing flange, leaving 3/4" for the cowl
> > (I'll need to trim 1/4" off the cowl) and 1/2" extending beyond the flange
> > to act as a guide when fitting the cowl.
> >
> > John
>
> >
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list