REFLECTOR: Cowl Slot

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Fri Jun 29 08:10:38 CDT 2007


I'm also interested.  I'm planning on doing the same.  I prefer not to have to redo the firewall, so my plan is just to add a 2" fiberglass strip which will adhere 3/4" on the existing flange, leaving 3/4" for the cowl (I'll need to trim 1/4" off the cowl) and 1/2" extending beyond the flange to act as a guide when fitting the cowl.

John

John Tvedte wrote:

> Scott,
>
> Any pictures?  I'd like to see the cowl slot solution....
>
> John
>
> ________________________________
>
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org on behalf of Scott Derrick
> Sent: Thu 6/28/2007 10:17 PM
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: TMX-390 Install, Seats & Belts, and Intrument Panel
>
> Regarding engine mounting.
>
> Putting a TSIO520 into the same space an IO360 was, well,  like putting 5 pounds of stuff in a 4 pound can...
>
> My two overriding concerns were CG and  prop position(thrust vector).   I wanted the least effect on CG which meant putting the engine as close to the firewall as possible, I wanted the prop to be in as close a position as it was with the factory IO360 engine mount.  This actually worked out fairly nicely. The IO360 was placed a good distance from the firewall and had an 8 inch prop extension.  With the TSIO520 up to 1.25 inches at its closest and using a 3 inch prop extension, the prop will be about 1/2 an inch further back at exactly the same height.
> I figured since the plane behaved very nicely before I didn't want to change that by moving my thrust vector too much, though it will be a bit stronger.
>
> I will be modifying both upper and lower cowls.  Actually there is not much of the original lower cowl left. I reduced the height of the injector rails and a couple other misc shortenings to get the plenum as low as possible. The upper cowl will require minor changes in addition to moving the existing  oil door and adding another door as the dip stick is not co-located with the filler.  Oh, I also modified the cowl mating edge to the fuselage so I don't have any  screws on that  part of the cowl. both upper and lower cowls edges fit into a slot.
>
> Scott
>
>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>                   Name: winmail.dat
>    winmail.dat    Type: NeroMediaPlayer media files (application/x-unknown-content-type-NeroMediaPlayer.File)
>               Encoding: base64
>
>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list