REFLECTOR: Franklin PZL fuel pump (Weldon replacement)

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 25 13:12:19 CDT 2007


Don & John,

My pump is a Weldon 6005-2A from:
C J Aviation
12215 SW 131 Ave.
Kendall, FL 33186
Phone: (800) 227-5772

PZL created the fuel pump problem by making an unauthorized modification to the pump drive.  If you look at the original drive you will see a drain hole drilled next to the push rod hole.  This "drain" hole intersects the main 1/8" oil galley.  This allowed pressurized oil to flow to the base of the diaphragm pump and out the vent hole. Oops!  Their fix was to add a bellows to the pump shaft/lower housing.  In addition this hole dumps oil directly back to the sump, reducing the flow to the bearing it's supposed to supply.  Here's an easy fix.  Remove the oil line elbow.  This exposes two oil galleys.  The larger one is 1/8" and the one of interest.  I used about a 1" length of 1/8" OD aluminum tubing flared on one end.  Apply a thin film of #2 Permitex to the outside and slide it into the 1/8" oil galley till the flare stops it.  I found that by doing this, I could use an unmodified diaphragm pump from NAPA without an oil leak.  I complied with the AD anyway with the Weldon pump.  If memory serves, I think the pump was $600 and an extra $50 for a plug that goes where the original pump mounted.

Larry Coen
N136LC
SE/RG Franklin/IVO
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Donald Royer 
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
  Sent: Sunday, June 24, 2007 4:09 AM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Franklin PZL fuel pump



  Larry,

  I still have the original pump drive, and I would very much appreciate it of you would get me the information on the Weldon pump.

  Don

    ----- Original Message ----- 
    From: Laurence Coen 
    To: djroyer at earthlink.net;Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
    Sent: 6/23/2007 1:01:10 PM 
    Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Franklin PZL fuel pump


    Don,

    If you still have the original fuel pump drive that went with the diaphragm pump, you can get a Weldon pump that comes with an STC for the Franklin.  This is what I use.  The paper work is at the hanger but if you are interested, I will get you the info.

    Larry Coen
    N136LC
    SE/RG Franklin/IVO



------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw   Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070625/697fb197/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list