REFLECTOR: Front Shock/ Tire Pressure

Karl J. Warner karljwarnerpa at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 20 12:07:46 CDT 2007


Same thoughts here - I keep nose @ 45 and Mains @ 55.  No matter what  
I also make sure the mains are the same - no need for more braking on  
a t/o run just to keep the airplane straight.  T/O roll is  
SUBSTANTIALLY different with low tire pressure.
Karl
N202VA
350+Hrs
> From: "Rene Dugas" <dugasd at bellsouth.net>
> Date: June 20, 2007 12:38:22 PM EDT
> To: "'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'"  
> <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Front Shock/ Tire Pressure
> Reply-To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list  
> <reflector at tvbf.org>
>
>
> Closest I’ve come to being killed in a plane is low nose gear tire  
> pressure.  I had been flying aerobatics in a super decathlon all  
> day when the instructor decided he wanted to fly my Velo.  He  
> weights over 250#’s.  I was experimenting with tire pressure and it  
> was about 15 to 20 #’s.  The runway was 3000 ft.  The nose would  
> not lift because the nose went down about 2 inches on takeoff run.   
> It finally lifted at 85 knots and I cleared the trees by less that  
> 20 ft.  I was also full of fuel.  Density altitude was not the  
> primary problem in Louisiana although it was over 90 degrees.   
> Recommend over 30 #’s and think about the nose drop with loading.
>
> Rene’
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector- 
> bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of KMis178813 at aol.com
> Sent: Sunday, June 17, 2007 8:27 PM
> To: reflector at tvbf.org
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Front Shock/ Tire Pressure
>
>
>    I was trying to soften the landings some years back and had the  
> brilliant idea (BRILLIANT I say) to lower all the tire pressures.  
> All of them to 30 lbs. , it worked great with one person on board.   
> UNTIL  high density altitude day, 95 degrees F and at gross weight.  
> Used most of a 6000 ft runway before I bounced the plane in to the  
> air to get rid of the rolling resistance from the tires. Be careful  
> how low you try to run the pressures. Later testing found that  
> weight vs. tire pressure really changes takeoff distance.
>
>
>                                                      Ken Mishler  
> N2087M SUV IO360 MT
>
>                                                      XLRG-5 under  
> construction TIO540
>
>
>
>
> See what's free at AOL.com.
> _______________________________________________
> Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070620/a2cd4746/attachment.html 


More information about the Reflector mailing list