REFLECTOR: ram air vs filter

Jack Sheehan jsheehan at ncam-sats.org
Mon Jun 18 12:19:49 CDT 2007


Scott.
I rarely use the filtered air. I use it in dusty environments or at 
flly-ins where they park you is a recently mowed hay field. I did not 
like the idea of using induction air from the top NACA runner since 
even if you are in a hangar the top of the airplane collects alot of 
dust etc and that is the first mouthful of air the engine gets.
The hardware was a little expensive but I wanted good a/c grade stuff 
bolted to the engine especially since the butterfly is in the intake 
stream I did not want it in the engine. I supose any good machine 
shop could also do something like it.
John asked for a picture of the scoop here it is not too good but it 
is about 3 inch opening going into a 4 inch S turn using scat.
The scoop is attached as part of the lower cowl. If I had it to do 
over I would make the scoop part of the fuselage with the first turn 
coming up just aft of the firewall. That way you would not have to 
deal with the scat hose each time you remove the cowl ( which I do alot).

Jack
N55XL
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Intake scoop 3.JPG
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 74232 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070618/3a896785/attachment-0001.jpe 


More information about the Reflector mailing list