REFLECTOR: ram air vs filter

John Tvedte johnt at comp-sol.com
Tue Jun 12 23:12:50 CDT 2007


Rene,
 
I second  the request for pictures....
 
Thanks,
John
 
Say - you going to be at OSH this year?

________________________________

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org on behalf of Rene Dugas
Sent: Tue 6/12/2007 6:21 PM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: ram air vs filter



I use the midline scoop mounted to the lower cowl and the rear of the
fire wall.  I used a K & N cone shaped filter mounted to a 3 inch
aluminum flange with an identical flange mounted the opposite direction
in a fiberglass box.  This is attached to the induction by 3 in. scat
tubing to allow for vibration.  I mounted a spring operated door in the
side of the box for emergency air that sucks open if I close the scoop.
I made the box by forming foam and coating it with glass.  I used
acetone to dissolve the foam and presto custom air box.  I seem to get 1
to 2 inches of MP based on side by side flights with others at the
Velocity Symposium.
My scoop starts out about 1.75 by 2.25 inches and opens up into
approximately a one foot square air box with the K & N in it.
Just FYI.  I can remove the lower cowl and the scoop screws to the box.
I can remove the two screws in the scoop and remove the filter for
cleaning.
Rene'

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Tom
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2007 8:01 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR: ram air vs filter

My problem was that I went from ram air to what was too small of a
filter. It was a 3" diameter x 5" long. I clamped it directly to the
induction air tube. I really need a larger filter with filtration on the

end also (this was closed). Very space limited under there as I share
the ram air inlet with a 2nd oil cooler mounted on the baffling. (large
aeroduct hose). I may just go with a screen.
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/ms-tnef
Size: 5253 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070612/1adf9953/attachment-0001.bin 


More information about the Reflector mailing list