REFLECTOR: Ignition Noise

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Mon Jun 11 19:56:55 CDT 2007


I have an transient noise also.  I have the Rose EI.  I can eliminate the noise by
turning down my intercom, which is ok when I'm flying solo which is most of the time.
I will check my EI ground also.

John

Ron Brown wrote:

> The firewall ground goes to the engine via a #4 cable.  The engine is
> grounded to the battery via a 1/2" ID copper tube - doubles as the vacuum
> line - Engine has always turned over fine so I know I have a good solid
> ground to the engine and starter.
>
> The EI power shield is grounded at the mag after it goes to the panel and
> back.  I put a Radio Shack inductor capacitor on the EI power supply
> (inductor in series, capacitor to ground) but it had no effect. I will check
> and see where the EI shields are connected - and make sure there is only one
> at the EI.
>
> If that doesn't fix it, I will try running a twisted pair from a separate
> battery directly to the EI and see what that does.
>
> THANKS again!
>
> I'll buy you a six pack if that fixes it!!!
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "michalk" <michalk at awpi.com>
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Monday, June 11, 2007 3:21 PM
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Ignition Noise
>
> "power for the EI is in a shielded wire"
> "the EI is grounded on the firewall"
>
> Do you mean that your power path to the EI is battery->panel switch->EI?
>   And that this wire is a single conductor shielded wire?
>
> How does your firewall ground return to the battery?  If you patch in a
> battery to your EI and do not send this power down the duct, does that
> solve the problem?
>
> You have two problems.  First, your 430 is a receiver of this noise, and
> second, your EI is generating this noise.
>
> Fixing the noise generator usually makes other things work better, so
> start there.  The EI may have a large dV/dT, meaning a large voltage
> spike in a short time causes magnetic flux lines and electrical fields
> to be coupled into other things.
>
> If your shield is connected in two places, remove the one closest to
> your instrument panel.  If the noise goes away, good, but you still have
> a problem.  The EI sent current down that shield because its a least
> path of resistance back to your battery.  Impedance goes up as frequency
> goes up ... not just resistance.  Your EI will be much happier giving
> you a stronger spark if you fix the root cause of your problem.  Look at
> your ground path.  No need really for shielded wires.  The real need is
> to have your power and ground wires twisted.  Shielding is for
> capacitive noise.  If your power is balanced (no common mode noise) then
> there is no energy to capacitively couple.  Most likely you are
> magnetically coupling the noise.
>
> Don't fix the symptom, fix the problem.  Use twisted wire, and if you
> still want shielded, shield it at the EI(the radiator), not at the
> instrument panel.  Try to not ground your EI power to the firewall.
> Even if the ground is attached to the firewall, the electricity will
> like that path better, resulting in lower noise.
>
> I'll bet you a beer that will fix it.
>
> Ronnie Brown wrote:
> > The headsets are grounded at the PS4000 intercom and no where else (but I
> > will verify)  The head set wiring is through the keel, EI is powered and
> > grounded through the right side duct.  Power for the EI is in a shielded
> > wire and the shielded wire is grounded at the mag - by way of the panel.
> > Now that I think of it, the EI shield is grounded twice!  Might need to
> > lift
> > one end.  Hmmm - thanks for the suggestions, Brian!
> >
> > The EI is grounded on the SS firewall as well as to the engine (but not
> > using a braided wire - wonder if that would help?)
> >
> > Ron
> >
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: "michalk" <michalk at awpi.com>
> > To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> > Sent: Monday, June 11, 2007 2:12 PM
> > Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Ignition Noise
> >
> >
> > It's not a high frequency coupling.
> >
> > I would guess that your antenna shield is a ground path for your EI.
> > Are your headset jacks insulated from the instrument panel?  Or, do your
> > headset wires share a common ground with your EI?
> >
> > Ron Brown wrote:
> >> Actually, I have been chasing a spark noise in my Garmin 430 for a
> >> several weeks.  It is only coming in the 430, it goes away when I turn
> >> off the Jeff Rose Electroair electronic ignition, it changes frequency
> >> with engine RPM, it does not come in to the #2 com which is a lowly
> >> Microair 760, it does not make noise if the antenna is disconnected from
> >> the 430.  Arrrggghhh!
> >>
> >> I have changed antennas from right to left, used a portable antenna,
> >> bought new plugs and plug  wires, connected the 430 to a separate
> >> battery, swapped 430's with a friend, removed ground wires, cleaned and
> >> retightened them, installed noise filters on the 430 and Electroair,
> >> removed and inspected new plugs and new wires.  Next I am going to
> >> remove the timing unit from the distributor hole, spin the unit and see
> >> if I can hear sparks, then try  replace one high energy coil at a time.
> >>
> >> We are planning to fly to Colorado next week and I sure would like to
> >> NOT hear sparking noises when I am receiving a far away aircraft or ATC.
> >>
> >> Any other suggestions from the collective???
> >> Ronnie
> >>
> >>
> >>     ----- Original Message -----
> >>     *From:* Chuck Jensen <mailto:cjensen at dts9000.com>
> >>     *To:* Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> >>     <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>
> >>     *Sent:* Monday, June 11, 2007 1:11 PM
> >>     *Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: elevator cuff was Brake authority
> >>
> >>     Ron,
> >>
> >>     Thanks for the cuff description, I can visualize what you were
> >>     describing but since I don't have any, I was just curious.  I was
> >>     suffering from cuff-envy until I realized it was fashionable not to
> >>     have 'em.
> >>
> >>     P.S.  Nice looking paint and trim job on the bird.  Now that its all
> >>     painted up, I'm surprised you haven't found anything that you want
> >>     to change!
> >>
> >>     Chuck Jensen
> >>
> >>      -----Original Message-----
> >>     *From:* reflector-bounces at tvbf.org
> >>     [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] *On Behalf Of *Ron Brown
> >>     *Sent:* Monday, June 11, 2007 10:41 AM
> >>     *To:* Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> >>     *Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: elevator cuff was Brake authority
> >>
> >>     Chuck,
> >>
> >>     Don't have a picture - but I can describe them.  It was a C shaped
> >>     piece that was installed on the leading edge of the Elevator - which
> >>     reduces the gap between the back of the canard and the elevator such
> >>     that when the elevator is down, the gap is reduced from what it
> >>     would be if the cuff wasn't there.
> >>
> >>     It was installed on the inner half, span wise of the elevator.
> >>
> >>     Ronnie
> >>
> >>         ----- Original Message -----
> >>         *From:* Chuck Jensen <mailto:cjensen at dts9000.com>
> >>         *To:* Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> >>         <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>
> >>         *Sent:* Monday, June 11, 2007 10:10 AM
> >>         *Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: elevator cuff was Brake authority
> >>
> >>         Does anyone have a photo of the "cuffs" that are being
> >>         discussed.  I'm not sure I've ever seen the cuffs on the Velo.
> >>         You're welcome to email directly.
> >>
> >>         Chuck Jensen
> >>
> >>          -----Original Message-----
> >>         *From:* reflector-bounces at tvbf.org
> >>         <mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org>
> >>         [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] *On Behalf Of *Laurence Coen
> >>         *Sent:* Friday, June 08, 2007 12:39 PM
> >>         *To:* Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> >>         *Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: elevator cuff was Brake authority
> >>
> >>         Al,
> >>
> >>         The way I understand it, the elevator cuffs were one of three
> >>         things done to address the deep stall problem.  Your current
> >>         main wing was redesigned and the canard was shortened.  The
> >>         cuffs are no longer needed.  They were a modification for
> >>         existing Velocities at that time.  I received cuffs with my kit
> >>         but never installed them.  Their purpose is to increase the
> >>         stall speed of the elevator which would explain your high stall
> >>         speed.
> >>
> >>         Larry Coen
> >>         N136LC
> >>
> >>             ----- Original Message -----
> >>             *From:* Al Gietzen <mailto:ALVentures at cox.net>
> >>             *To:* 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
> >>             <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>
> >>             *Sent:* Thursday, June 07, 2007 11:34 AM
> >>             *Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: Brake authority
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>             I concur with Larry - 10KIAS makes a big difference.
> >>
> >>             My canard stalls at 60KIAS with just me, 65KIAS with
> >>
> >>             two people up front.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>             I still have about half the width of the elevator cuff on
> >>             the elevators. It gives a very gentle pitch-buck at stall,
> >>             I’ve never felt a lack of elevator authority; and I never
> >>             have full aft stick on landing.  However; would removing the
> >>             rest of the cuff reduce the stall speed?
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>             I have my ground idle set to about 500 RPMs (Lyc
> >>
> >>             IO-540 with two mags) which is pretty much as slow as
> >>
> >>             it will run
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>             My engine idle is about 850; that’s about 210 rpm on the
> >> prop.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>             Al
> >>
> >>             --------------------------------------------------------------
> > ----------
> >>             _______________________________________________
> >>             To change your email address, visit
> >>             http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >>
> >>             Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> >>             user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >>             Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> >>             Check old archives:
> >>             http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >>
> >>         ------------------------------------------------------------------
> > ------
> >>         _______________________________________________
> >>         To change your email address, visit
> >>         http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >>
> >>         Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> >>         user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >>         Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> >>         Check old archives:
> >>         http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >>
> >>     ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> > --
> >>     _______________________________________________
> >>     To change your email address, visit
> >>     http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >>
> >>     Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> >>     user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >>     Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> >>     Check old archives:
> > http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >>
> >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> To change your email address, visit
> > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> >> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> >> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
> > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
> > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list