REFLECTOR: Toe Brakes, again...

steve korney s_korney at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 9 23:31:51 CDT 2007


Hiroo...

I have to bleed each of the pilot and co-pilot left and right pedal 
cylinders individually at the top of each cylinder ... (On my Glasair) ...  
To get all the air out of the brake lines... I crack the line open and push 
on the pedal until a little fluid comes out clear of bubbles, then close the 
fitting before I release the pedal...


Best... Steve




----Original Message Follows----
From: Hiroo Umeno <humeno at microsoft.com>
Reply-To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: REFLECTOR: Toe Brakes, again...
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 21:21:07 -0700

The second installment of the ongoing brakes saga...

My setup is a factory toe-brake kit with Matco brakes on FG SUV (std 
fuselage, std wing).  My brake lines are a combination of the hard aluminum 
line from forward bulkhead to gear bulkhead and the factory provided 
nylaflow line, the rest of the way.

It was a rainy day today and I decided to bleed the brake system.  I drained 
the system of fluid, then re-filled it.  I generally do this "bottom up" 
where I start filling the fluid from the lowest point in the system (bleed 
valve at the gear) and fill the fluid until the reservoir is full.  My 
thinking is that going bottom up will ensure that there are no trapped 
bubbles in the system.

The brake is way too "soft" for my liking, still.  There is quite a bit of 
toe motion when pushing on the brakes.  It is a lot more than what I am used 
to on Cessnas and Pipers.  On those, I get the "push back" almost as soon as 
I get my toe on the brakes and there is very little room to Squeeze.  On my 
plane, it feels like I am displacing a lot of fluid through the master 
cylinder.  Shouldn't there be very little movement on the pedals?  The way I 
understand the system work is that there should be very little fluid 
movement and the brake should work by pressurizing the system and not 
displacing.

Curiously, I found that the passenger side left brake feels "taught".  All 
the rest felt rather mushy.

Aside from bleeding again to check for air bubbles, what else should I 
check?  There are no leaks in the system along the way, either.

Hiroo



_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit 
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

_________________________________________________________________
Like puzzles? Play free games & earn great prizes. Play Clink now. 
http://club.live.com/clink.aspx?icid=clink_hotmailtextlink2



More information about the Reflector mailing list