REFLECTOR: weatherproofing

Kirk Aragon aragon_kirk at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 7 12:44:53 CDT 2007


Ronnie,My joints are glassed up per the original builder. I will likely change that  soon (probably when I visit Sebastian). I'll make sure they are caulked up then.  :-)Kirk From: romott at roadrunner.comTo: reflector at tvbf.orgDate: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 13:36:08 -0400Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: weatherproofing









Hi Kirk,
 
There is another possible leakage source and that is the 
wing to strake joints.  Water can migrate down the center spar into the 
cabin and wind up in the floor.  I used white bathtub caulk (white and 
shinny) and laid a small bead into the seam after masking with blue painter's 
tape.  
 
Ronnie

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: 
  Kirk 
  Aragon 
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders 
  list 
  Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2007 10:20 
  AM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: 
  weatherproofing
  John,I've also experienced standing water in my 
  aircraft after a storm (when the aircraft is parked). Initially, I thought it 
  was the weatherstripping around the doors, so I ordered some new 
  weatherstripping from the factory. Before I had the opportunityto install it, 
  I sat in the parked aircraft during a storm. I didn't notice a single drop of 
  rain entering via the doors. I also did not see any puddling on the 
  floorboards.I also became interested in the large holes on the sides 
  where the canard meets the fuselage. But my experience during the storm made 
  that hypothesis less likely. Why would I get water sometimes, but not 
  allways?So spring time came and I decided the aircraft needed to be 
  washed after sitting outside for the last three months. I didn't notice any 
  leaks during the wash of the fuselage. However, water started to pool inside 
  after I hosed down the newly de-gunked engine compartment. The distinctive 
  odor of "GUNK "ENGINE BRITE" ENGINE CLEANER" assaulted my 
  nose when I entered the cockpit.I noticied that water pooled on the 
  lip of the bottom cowling. I also noticed the water draining into the channels 
  where the oil hose goes to and returns from the nose mounted oil cooler. 
  Eureka.I've purchased some high temperature sealant and hope to close 
  the gaps soon.Hope this 
  helpsKirkN360TV> Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 
  08:39:40 -0500> From: aminetech at bluefrog.com> To: 
  reflector at tvbf.org> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: weatherproofing> 
  > I haven't noticed any water getting in while flying in the rain, but 
  a lot of water> comes in when it sits outside on the ground in the 
  rain.> > John> > Tom wrote:> > > 
  While putting the canard back on I noticed I could see some daylight> 
  > through the seams where the canard sits in the fueslage. Also, 
  there> > are the two fairly large holes on the sides for movement of 
  the canard> > control surfaces. Are these an issue when flying 
  through rain as far as> > the avionics possibly getting wet? thx 
  Tom> > _______________________________________________> > 
  To change your email address, visit 
  http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector> >> > Visit 
  the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery> > user:pw   tvbf:jamaicangoose> > Check new archives: 
  www.tvbf.org/pipermail> > Check old archives: 
  http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html> > 
  _______________________________________________> To change your email 
  address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector> > 
  Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery> user:pw   tvbf:jamaicangoose> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail> 
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
  
  

  _______________________________________________To change your email 
  address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflectorVisit the 
  gallery!  www.tvbf.org/galleryuser:pw   new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermailCheck old archives: 
  http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070607/136e72e3/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list