REFLECTOR: weatherproofing
Chuck Jensen
cjensen at dts9000.com
Thu Jun 7 09:10:03 CDT 2007
I sealed up the upper region of the big doghouse (which can drain into
the cabin) much like Scott did. I ran a bead of white silastic around
the receiving flange of the opening and then covered it with strips of
plastic shopping bags, which won't stick to the silastic. Then I
screwed down the hatch about 90% tight. This causes the silastic to
spread out to form an excellent, form fitting seal. The next day I
removed the hatch, lifted off the shopping bag strips and trimmed any
overhanging silastic with a utility knife. Now, when the hatch is
screwed down 100% tight, it slightly compresses the layer of silastic to
form a water tight seal.
For sealing up the bulkhead between the nose well of the RG and the
avionics bay, I found a white, pressure sensitive door seal at Lowes the
exact with of the top of the bulkhead. When the hatch is applied, it
compresses the weather stripping and forms an air/water tight seal. I
haven't solved the elevator torque tube leakage but am going to try the
velcro trick.
Chuck Jensen
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Scott Derrick
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2007 9:53 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: weatherproofing
I have the same experience as John. Very little leak in flight but a
lot on the ground.
I did have a big wind coming ion the torque tube holes in flight though,
so I sealed up the elevator torque tubes with Velcro tape. Using the
fuzzy side, taped to the sides of the torque tube hole. It seals it
nicely with little if any friction.
I put a thin line of white 50 year caulk on the canard dog house seam
that crosses the fuselage. After it cured I sliced it down the middle
with a new razor blade. Makes a nice almost water tight seal. Very
little moisture gets through in a hard rain.
Scott
John Dibble wrote:
I haven't noticed any water getting in while flying in the rain,
but a lot of water
comes in when it sits outside on the ground in the rain.
John
Tom wrote:
While putting the canard back on I noticed I could see
some daylight
through the seams where the canard sits in the fueslage.
Also, there
are the two fairly large holes on the sides for movement
of the canard
control surfaces. Are these an issue when flying through
rain as far as
the avionics possibly getting wet? thx Tom
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
--
-
As nightfall does not come at once, neither does oppression. In both
instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly
unchanged. And it is in such twilight that we all must be most aware of
change in the air however slight lest we become unwitting victims of the
darkness.
William O. Douglas, Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070607/526cd6e4/attachment.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list