REFLECTOR: Brake authority
Pat Shea
xl340hp at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 7 00:03:25 CDT 2007
Al,
I forgot to mention that I am using white electrical
tape to seal the aileron gap on top of the wings. I
installed this tape as well as trailing edge fences at
the same time after my test pilot (same as yours) said
aileron authority at slow speed was marginal. I have
only flown the plane with these devices installed -
the aileron control seems very positive to me all the
way down to touchdown speed.
Pat
--- Pat Shea <xl340hp at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Al,
>
> My landing/stop distances seem comparable to yours.
> On
> a normal landing, if i turned my motor off and
> didn't
> use any brakes, i'd go right through he fence at the
> end of my 3,200' runway...
>
> I can definitely stop shorter. Here's how:
>
> Final at 85KIAS, short final at 80KIAS, mains touch
> at
> 75KIAS, very little flare (not a carrier landing,
> but
> a definite plunk just past the numbers), on the
> brakes
> and off in 2,000' (no wind). Not pretty but doable.
> I
> typically only fly a slow approach when it's calm
> and
> I want to stop short. Flying slow is more
> comfortable
> when it's calm. When there's a material
> headwind/xwind
> component, I keep the speed up on approach and let
> the
> wind slow me down once on the ground.
>
> I concur with Larry - 10KIAS makes a big difference.
> My canard stalls at 60KIAS with just me, 65KIAS with
> two people up front.
>
> I have my ground idle set to about 500 RPMs (Lyc
> IO-540 with two mags) which is pretty much as slow
> as
> it will run. On approach and after touchdown it
> turns
> over happily with the throttle closed. I could
> probably safely turn it down another 100RPMs - I
> just
> wouldn't be able to close the throttle all the way
> on
> the ground.
>
> Pat
>
> --- Laurence Coen <lwcoen at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Al,
> >
> > I agree that the plane handles nicer at 90 KIAS on
> > approach and that's what I use but my aiming point
> > is about 300 ft or more short of the threshold. I
> > finish up with a gradual round-out to cross the
> > threshold at 80 KIAS and touch mains at 70 KIAS.
> My
> > canard stalls at 60 KIAS single pilot (add 5 for
> two
> > up front). Since the energy necessary to stop is
> a
> > function of speed squared, an extra 10 KIAS is a
> big
> > deal.
>
>
>
>
>
____________________________________________________________________________________
> Sucker-punch spam with award-winning protection.
> Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.
>
http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mailbeta/features_spam.html
>
____________________________________________________________________________________
Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase.
http://farechase.yahoo.com/
More information about the Reflector
mailing list