REFLECTOR: ram air vs filter

Lou Stedman stedmanlou at adelphia.net
Wed Jun 6 15:31:53 CDT 2007


I just did the same thing on my Velocity. I was very concerned with dust and 
sand being kicked up from the wheel to our rear mount engine scoops. I have 
a 2" diameter belly scoop mounted dead center of the lower cowl. I formed up 
a fiberglass cover for a 6"x6" K&N which is designed for the O-360. Then I a 
2 3/4" scat tube running from the filter box to my throttle body (fuel 
injected). I had some other issues that needed correcting so I have not been 
able to test fly it yet but I will report back in a couple of days.

Lou Stedman
Velocity N7044Q
Olean, NY
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Tom" <tomcat05 at comcast.net>
To: <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 3:00 PM
Subject: REFLECTOR: ram air vs filter


> Yesterday I added a K&N cone filter directly to the intake on the
> engine. I have updraft cooling and the cone was located near one of the
> inlets so I assumed sufficient air would be available. Test flew this
> morning and lost about 1.5" of manifold pressure and 200 rpm (fixed
> pitch so this translates directly to speed). Additionally the plugs
> loaded up. Pulled the filter today and put the ram air back as engine
> was obviously not getting sufficient air. Just an FYI for anyone
> contemplating something similar.
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 



More information about the Reflector mailing list