REFLECTOR: Brake authority
michalk
michalk at awpi.com
Mon Jun 4 11:18:35 CDT 2007
Mike Deeter had something that sounds similar to your situation.
Check the 1" square aluminum stops between the cylinder and the pedal,
and ensure that they are not bottoming out. If they are, then you are
not getting full pedal movement.
Hiroo Umeno wrote:
> I had a situation this weekend that heightened the “pucker factor” a bit.
>
>
>
> It was a rather warm day (80 or so at sea level) and I landed at a
> 3400ft long. Upon touchdown, I braked more firmly than normal since it
> was a bit shorter a strip than normal. About mid-way down the strip, I
> noticed that the rate of deceleration has decreased a bit. I used the
> full length of the 3400ft to get it stopped and turned off the active.
> The parking was at the other end of the field so I taxied back. It was
> probably about 5 minutes in taxi and after getting to the other end of
> the 3400ft strip, I suddenly realized that I could only turn left. To
> make matter worse, once I got the nose cocked left, I could not
> straighten it out, either. I had to shut down, push the plane to the
> ramp, let the brakes cool off, then taxi.
>
>
>
> Now, I’ve always had an impression that the braking on my plane was
> “softer” than other planes I have flown in the past. For example, on
> the Pipers with castering nose gears, I could make a “pin-point turn” by
> locking one wheel or another by standing on the brake. Not on my
> plane. I have the let the plane start rolling and then nudge the nose
> over gradually. Also at run-up, I can barely keep it from creeping
> forward at higher RPMs.
>
>
>
> As I have the standard wing and fuselage (SUV), I have the Matco
> brakes. My understanding is that the Cleveland upgrade is only
> necessary on the XL class aircraft.
>
>
>
> How much brake effectiveness should I expect on these Matcos? I am
> starting to think I might have an air bubble or two in my lines.
>
>
>
> Hiroo
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list