REFLECTOR: Ideas for cooling the #6 (far out) cylinder.

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Sun Jun 3 09:20:05 CDT 2007


Pull a spark plug and see if you are getting detonation on that cylinder.

It should be a light tan or milky brown color.

Hiroo Umeno wrote:

> I had another flight where the scope of the flight was limited by the 
> #6 CHT and the oil temp. I think the oil temp can be addressed by 
> adding an exit baffle the sucks the air out of duct more forcefully.
>
> The CHT is a puzzling one. I got a few suggestions for adding a baffle 
> under the cowl to direct more are to the #6 that is really way out 
> there at the end. The trouble is, I am having a hard time figuring 
> where and how big the baffle should go. Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> It was a 80 degree day in Seattle and I had to keep the plane at 
> 3000ft, 110Kts, power pulled fairly far back so that the #6 CHT and 
> the oil temp won’t redline.
>
> On a related topic, I knew that if I got higher where the air is 
> cooler, and went faster where I got more airflow, I could keep things 
> cooler. The trouble is, I couldn’t get there without redlining 
> something. Would it be bad to fly it Redlined on one cyl for a few 
> minutes it takes to get high and fast enough? I’ve been trying really 
> hard not to keep things in red for long for fear of doing some damage 
> to the engine.
>
> Hiroo
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>



More information about the Reflector mailing list