REFLECTOR: Airventure Cup - Landing Gear problem ( a long Saga)

Rene Dugas dugasd at bellsouth.net
Tue Jul 31 17:42:31 CDT 2007


I was likewise the recipient of incredible support and help from our
Velocity "family" so I know what you mean when I had to replace my gear
in Billings Montana.
Glad it went well.
Rene'

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Jack Sheehan
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2007 4:33 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: Airventure Cup - Landing Gear problem ( a long Saga)

I haven't seen a recap of the Airventure Cup but here is some info
the full results are at:
http://www.airventure.org/2007/events/avcup_results_2007.pdf

We had 6 velocities entered this was the results
Pilot			Type		Average speed (MPH)

Pat & Dennis Shea	XL-RG 		239.14
Rich & Dad Guerra	XL-RG		212.69
Ken Mishler		SUV-FG	198.48
Scott Jones &
Joe Schifrei		173RG		205.12 ( rotary engine)
Craig Woolson&
John School		XL-FG		DNF
Jack Sheehan		XL-RG		DNS

The times are all good and certainly stand up to our advertised speeds.
The fastest airplane was a Nemisis XT at 337.46 Mph.
We all had a great time I think. We even had a Velocity table at the
dinner before the race which was at the engineer club in Dayton.
I think founded in part by Orville and Wilbur.
I don't know what happened to Craig ( DNF- Did Not Finish) but he had
a full airplane. Both he and Johns wife made the trip from California.
They may have had a pit stop or a lunch break I on the other hand had
a DNS- Did Not Start. Upon arriving at Dayton -Wright Brother airport.
After an uneventful landing I was looking at the airplane and found a
crack
in the right landing gear strut. The torsional wrap was seperated.
Probably
has an internal crack which finally slit the wrap. The crack probably
caused
by some other pilot flying the airplane ( oh yeah I am the only pilot 
that has flown it )
Could not have been pilot technique.
But not to worry I did not get to Oshkosh but had a great time in
Dayton.
I was promptly rescued by Bill Stockman who has a Velocity Elite LW
based
a few miles from the airport I was at. Bill was at the race start 
just hanging out
and took me home and gave me a bed room for the week. He and his wife
Terry
were great. Annother pilot who is a county sheriff lent me a car. Life
is good!
Scott Baker answered the phone on saturday and said he could get me new
parts
by Wednesday. The parts arrived Tuesday morning. The FBO that sponsors
the
start of the race ( Commander Aero) put me in the hangar, provided 
jacks and tools.
Whow what a good bunch of people. Bill had a couple of parties at his 
house while
I was there and I met great folks. The Sheriff, Mike Nolan fllys a 
C-310 and his wife
is opening a wine store in Miamisburg so we had a night of partying
there.
For having a broken airplane I was sure having a good time. If I was 
home I would not
get to go to the airport 5 days in a row. It was just like building
again.
I can't say enough for having the Velocity family. Scott Swing was on 
the phone helping
fit the new gear. The new builders manual on line was a great help. 
Much better than
my old circa 1998 manual and I could use it in the hangar on line.
Scott Baker after shipping early went to the data base and found that 
Brett Ferrel lived
about 20 miles away he called Brett to arrange for epoxy and glass 
etc if I needed it.
Brett was in Oshkosh (go figure) but he called me and arranged for me 
to go to his
hangar ( airport would open it) and get what I want He also offered 
his house and his car
for use if I needed one. This was a great experience. I can not tell 
you how important it
is to have great factory support. If you guys are buying anything for 
your airplane
you should shop at Velocity first. On many items they will actualy 
have a better price
than Aircraft Spruce. On large items they buy at OEM prices and you can
not.
The bottom line is we need the factory supply shop to be successful 
for all the reasons.
I can not say Thanks enough to all who helped. It was such a good time I
am
thinking of flying to a new neighborhood and breaking down again. 
Texas looks good
maybe the west coast.
At the race I met Paul who just a few weeks ago lost his prop and 
also recieved some
great support from this family.

Thanks
Jack
N55XL
Race 55


_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html




More information about the Reflector mailing list