REFLECTOR: fired up
Alex Balic
velocity_pilot at verizon.net
Sun Jul 29 11:45:50 CDT 2007
Hi Richard-
Hard to say just how far it put me back on the project, since I did most of
the rebuilding and piston replacement work on the engine when it was too
cold to lay glass anyway, but I have kept track of the "engine" portion on
my log and it is around 460 hours not counting the waiting time for parts
from Crossflow, Subaru, and others- I do have a bit of previous engine
building experience, and I welded my own exhaust, so maybe it didn't take as
long as it might have- although just mounting and baffling a Lycoming would
still have taken some time.. of course, you can get the package from
Crossflow now (figure about 2x the lead time that they tell you though -
they are good, but they are extremely slow) - I got my engine mount, ECU /
wiring harness, and the PSRU from them - all very well engineered-
_____
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Richard J. Gentil
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2007 7:27 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: fired up
Congratz Alex!
I was wondering how much extra time you figure that a custom engine install
took?
Richard
Alex Balic wrote:
After countless hours of disassembly, checking, reassembly, fabricating
more unique parts than I want to remember, and 2 round trips to Canada and
one trip to England ( for the ECU) to be properly configured, my venerable
turbocharged Subaru 3.3 liter flat 6 came to life today on the back of my
XLRG
Ran it just long enough to wind up the turbo and discover some small oil
leaks which will be fixed without trouble, but sure sounded nice- started on
about the 3rd prop rotation the first time and immediately on the next 6
starts- now if I can just get that wiring done might just make it to SNF
next year........ of course I pretty much say that every year.. :-)
Alex
_____
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_____
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.476 / Virus Database: 269.10.22/923 - Release Date: 7/27/2007
6:01 PM
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070729/fea794c1/attachment.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list