REFLECTOR: bubbles on my baffles

Jorge Bujanda bujanda at dslextreme.com
Fri Jul 20 09:54:51 CDT 2007


Doug,
I agree with Larry, and in all honestly, I am sure all of us can find some here and there;
under the surface of the bulkheads or under the BID in the radiuses.  I myself opted to
use the fine BID the factory sent me with the kit to cover that foam and not elsewhere,
because of the difficulty to eliminate "all" bubbles trapped underneath it.  The "surface"
strength in the bulkheads is in the cloth and some small embedded bubbles underneath will
not lessen it.  They are not only covered with BID but by the time you are done, they will
have a couple of Jeffco coats over them and be sealed to the surface.  Even if it were a
problem, I believe that breaking the cloth's continuity to fill the bubbles could make it
worse and covering them with additional BID would only add weight and hours to your
building log.  Just keep going and finish that sucker...  
 
Regards,
Jorge Bujanda
Velocity XL FG 
Palmdale, CA
Website:  http://members.dslextreme.com/users/jbujanda/
 
"Make your best case... not the best case."
"Spare the noise... convince through silence."
 
  _____  

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Lawrence
Epstein,MD
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2007 6:30 AM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: bubbles on my baffles
 
Do nothing. To quote an old carpenter's saying: (Once it is closed) "can't see it from my
house". ;-)
Should have no impact.
 
Larry Epstein
 
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Douglas
Holub
Sent: Friday, July 20, 2007 8:58 AM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR: bubbles on my baffles
 
I've got a few dime sized bubbles on my strake baffles and bulkheads. Should I:
1. Use a syringe to fill them with epoxy,
2. Sand them down and cover with 2 plies of BID, or
3. Do nothing.
 
Doug Holub
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070720/2fe37810/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list