REFLECTOR: Radio static problem

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Mon Jul 16 22:52:36 CDT 2007


Electrostatic charge can do this.

Hiroo Umeno wrote:
> Over the weekend, I had a situation where I could not receive 
> transmissions on ground from a station a couple miles away.  I was at an 
> airshow and it was a temporary tower which was trying to talk to me.  
> They can hear me fine but I couldn’t hear them.  Once I got airborne, 
> (with the old-fashioned light gun), I was able to hear them fine.
> 
>  
> 
> I did some experiments in the air and determined that if I turned off 
> Squelch, I can barely hear some transmissions over heavy static.  I 
> generally never have problems talking to (and receiving transmissions 
> from) the tower or the ground controller at my home field at Everett.  
> Given that they routinely work with Heavies, they have good radio gear 
> up there.
> 
>  
> 
> The static noise is not correlated to the engine RPM so I doubt it is 
> ignition noise (I have dual mags).  It is not a buzzing / hissing / 
> whistling type noise that has specific frequency peaks or 
> characteristics.  It really is a static / white-noise type deal.
> 
>  
> 
> Any ideas on where I should start looking?
> 
>  
> 
> Hiroo
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


More information about the Reflector mailing list