REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 38, Issue 65 - Grand Rapids EFIS

Christopher Barber CBarber at TexasAttorney.net
Sun Jul 15 20:33:22 CDT 2007


I have the Dynon D-100 (the 7 inch screen) and it is sweeeeeeet.  They just
released a major firmware upgrade this week, again, as always, for free.
The company has been very supportive of their current customers and have
responded responsibly with user input and well tested software. They have
had some web server issues in the last couple of weeks though.

I am not flying yet......even though I DID TAXI AROUND THE HANGAR RAMP AREA
TODAY FOR THE FIRT TIME UNDER SHIPS ROTARY POWER <BFG>.  However, my buddy
who built a RV-8 has the same Dynon and I have flown his plane behind the
Dynon and it works GREEEEEAAAAT.  It is really amazing.  To me, it is even
more empressive since my buddy loves it too and has nothing but praise for
the unit and the company and he is a senior (number one in Houston) first
officer for Continental Airlines.  Really good, clear thinking guy.

FWIW.

All the best,

Chris
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Mark Riley" <anriley at comcast.net>
To: <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2007 3:53 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 38,Issue 65 - Grand Rapids
EFIS


>
> I just spoke to the folks at GRT and they have 2 new options to consider
for
> the Horizon 1 EFIS. The high resolution screen announced at Sun 'n Fun is
a
> $400 upcharge and will be shipping in November. They have also just come
out
> with a new HX option incorporating a faster processor. This will support
> full synthetic vision with 3D terrain. It is a $2,000 upcharge and will be
> shipping in December or January. They hope to have one on display at
> Oshkosh.
>
> I am leaning toward going with the HX option with a backup Dynon EFIS. Has
> anyone had any experience with Dynon?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark Riley
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of reflector-request at tvbf.org
> Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2007 12:38 PM
> To: reflector at tvbf.org
> Subject: Reflector Digest, Vol 38, Issue 65
>
> Send Reflector mailing list submissions to
> reflector at tvbf.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> reflector-request at tvbf.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> reflector-owner at tvbf.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Reflector digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re:  Pressure testing oil cooling system (Keith Hallsten)
>    2. Re:  Message has a suspicious header (Brian Michalk)
>    3. Re:  Reflector Digest, Vol 38, Issue 63 (Christopher Barber)
>    4. Re:  Switch guards, switch locks, locking switches??
>       (NMFlyer1 at aol.com)
>    5. Re:  Switch guards, switch locks, locking switches?? (John Dibble)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 22:26:55 -0700
> From: "Keith Hallsten" <KeithHallsten at quiknet.com>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Pressure testing oil cooling system
> To: "'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'"
> <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Message-ID: <001601c7c6a0$c2315b30$0202a8c0 at OFFICE>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Scott,
>
> I notice that GRT provided me with a 0-150 psi pressure transducer for the
> oil system, which tends to suggest that 150 psi might be a reasonable
> "proof" pressure for testing.
>
> Regards,
>
> Keith Hallsten
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Scott Derrick
> Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2007 6:27 PM
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Pressure testing oil cooling system
>
> I'm pressure testing my new oil lines and cooling system(two coolers).
>
> I ran it up to 90 psi a couple of hours ago to help chase down any
> leaks.   A friend of mine suggested 150 PSI  as a good final test
> pressure.   Does that sound about right?
>
> Scott
>
>
>
> -- 
>
> -
>     I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much
> liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.
>
>     Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791. ME 8:276
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 00:44:16 -0500
> From: Brian Michalk <michalk at awpi.com>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Message has a suspicious header
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Message-ID: <4699B430.8000207 at awpi.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> You would be surprised at how many emails the reflector gets of people
> testing their mailer software.  Invariably the subject contains "test"
> in it, so I manually approve those.
>
> steve korney wrote:
> > Brian...  What's the matter with my  post...?
> >
> > Your mail to 'Reflector' with the subject
> >
> >     RE:Pressure testing oil cooling system
> >
> > Is being held until the list moderator can review it for approval.
> >
> > The reason it is being held:
> >
> >     Message has a suspicious header
> >
> > Either the message will get posted to the list, or you will receive
> > notification of the moderator's decision.  If you would like to cancel
> > this posting, please visit the following URL:
> >
> >
> >
>
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/confirm/reflector/1b2033308632377eb773e0eed4310f
> 74de817249
> >
> >
> >
> > Best... Steve
> >
> > _________________________________________________________________
> > Local listings, incredible imagery, and driving directions - all in one
> > place! http://maps.live.com/?wip=69&FORM=MGAC01
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 08:20:14 -0600
> From: "Christopher Barber" <CBarber at TexasAttorney.net>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 38, Issue 63
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Message-ID: <OOECJAJLPPEPJMHNKCBHMEKOLAAA.CBarber at TexasAttorney.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Only 2.5 years as a cop.  Before that I was a professional student/ and
then
> a lawyer for ten years in private/solo Estate Planning  practice.   But
this
> cop thing is waaaay fun.  I still practice some law, but the cop things is
> something I have always wanted to do and I figured if I didn't do it now
(in
> my mid 40's, I never would).  My undergrad degree is in Criminal Justice,
> but the year I graduated the City of Houston started a hire freeze which
> lasted three years....so I continued in grad and then law school.  At the
> time I wanted to work for the Houston Police Department, now, I am
thrilled
> to be working in the City of Bellaire (a city completely surrounded by
> Houston, twice the fun, half the PITA).
>
> I am leaning towards some sort of guard since, for some reason I really
like
> toggle switches.  But the investigation of majoring in minor things,
> continues <g>
>
> All the best,
>
> Chris
>
> Christopher Barber
> Attorney and Counselor at Law
> 5110 Bissonnet, No 418
> Bellaire, Texas 77401
>
> Serving the Needs of Senior Texans
>
> 281-464-LAWS (5297)
> 281-754-4168 Fax
> www.TexasAttorney.net
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
> Behalf Of Matt Bucko
> Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2007 9:49 PM
> To: reflector at tvbf.org
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 38, Issue 63
>
>
>
> Chris, I would use either good rockers, not toggels, or go with the
switches
> with the guards.  The rockers are low profile and take a deliberate push
to
> activate.  Toggels are just too easy to move by accident. Guarded switches
> just look cool!  My opinion.
> By the way, how long have you been on the Job? I retired from Scottsdale,
AZ
> after 23 years.
> Matt
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 19:23:36 -0600
> From: Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: pitch Trim
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Message-ID: <46997718.8050308 at tnstaafl.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
>
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070714/8f27008e/
> attachment-0001.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 20:32:23 -0500
> From: "Christopher Barber" <CBarber at TexasAttorney.net>
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Switch guards, switch locks, locking switches??
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>,
> "Rotary motors in aircraft" <flyrotary at lancaironline.net>
> Message-ID: <015001c7c680$00cae940$0401a8c0 at userte4ok6qti7>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> As most of y'all may know, my project is an all electric bird (Velocity
SE)
> with a rotary engine.  Since if I loose power things get quite I am using
> Bob Knuckls' duel alternator/duel battery set up.  What I am curious about
> is the switches in the cabin.  Currently I have all the switches up high
on
> the panel a bit right of center towards the co-pilot position.  I hope to
> not have a passanger who would inadvertanlty flip a switch down and off,
> HOWEVER, you never know what may get tangled or a stray move may flip a
> switch. If my coil switch or primary injectors get switched off I will
start
> sweating.  Also, I don't really mind the switches where they are, but I do
> have a couple of other places I would like them, but I placed them here as
> to minimize being bumped.
>
> My question is what other options do I have to either guard against
> accidental deactivation.   I have purchased a couple of aviation locking
> toggles from ebay, but they are kinda small and may not be up for the task
> (but at $13.00 for twoI couldn't go too wrong...they may work for my coil
> switch and primary fuel).  The regular priced DPDT (for my contactors and
> injectors) seem to start at close to $60.00 a piece...a bit much for my
> police salary if other options will surfice.
>
> I have also considered installing some of the switch guards you see in old
> nuclear missle bunker movies that they would open to expose the firing
> buttons for the big ol' missles.  I considered installing them upside down
> (which is really easy) so that they are on when the cover is closed thus
> making the switch impossible to turn off by mistake. This seems really
fool
> proof, however, the guards, while cheap, are pretty big and do not look
all
> that, well, elligant.
>
>  Also, I was watching the Astronaut Farmer last night on PPV and saw the
> little hard wire loops that where installed next to the switches on each
> side of the individual switches in his space capsule and this reminded me
of
> the ones NASA used to use....maybe still do.  Donno.  These seem to be
just
> half circles that make grabbing the switch very deliberate and minimizes
> potential knocks.  Finally, it seems as if I have seen bars held in by
> springs that lay across a series of switches to keep them in place.
>
> What say ye?  Insight?  Wisdom? Warnings? Observations?  WAG's?
>
> Thanks.
>
> All the best,
>
> Chris Barber
> Houston
>
> crossed posted on Reflector, FlyRotary, Aeroelectric Connection email list
&
> Canard Aviation forum
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
>
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070714/82192c82/
> attachment-0001.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 19:26:44 -0600
> From: Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net>
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Pressure testing oil cooling system
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Message-ID: <469977D4.9090309 at tnstaafl.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
>
> I'm pressure testing my new oil lines and cooling system(two coolers).
>
> I ran it up to 90 psi a couple of hours ago to help chase down any
> leaks.   A friend of mine suggested 150 PSI  as a good final test
> pressure.   Does that sound about right?
>
> Scott
>
>
>
> --
>
> -
>     I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much
> liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.
>
>     Thomas Jefferson to Archibald Stuart, 1791. ME 8:276
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 23:01:31 -0500
> From: "Bob Jackson" <bobj at computer.org>
> Subject: REFLECTOR:   Adjustable Seat Back Hinges
> To: "'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'"
> <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Message-ID: <E1I9uP8-0001ME-00 at pop-savannah.atl.sa.earthlink.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> I recently bought the new adjustable seat back hinges from Velocity, but
> have had difficulty getting them installed in a way that makes them
operate
> smoothly or freely.  Understanding that they are designed not to mount
> directly against the seat bottom and back pans (but instead with the seat
> fabric and a little bit of foam trapped in between), we have tried using
> shims to simulate the thickness of the fabric and foam.  But even so, we
> have still been unable to install them so that they operate smoothly and
> freely or to allow the front seat backs to be easily folded down nearly on
> top of the seat bottoms for easy ingress to the rear seats and for the
easy
> storage of bags behind the rear seats.
>
>
>
> The basic problem seem to be the fact that the lower part of the seat
backs,
> where the hinges attach to the embedded hardpoints, are not parallel which
> angles the two hinge axes and prevents them from being co-linear, as shown
> in the photo below:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> The angling also causes the seat tilt rod to bend and not operate
smoothly.
> The adjustable seat hinges seem like a good idea, but we have been unable
to
> install them properly.
>
>
>
> The question is whether or not someone on the Reflector has been able to
> successfully shim the hinges to allow the seat back to move smoothly and
> easily through it's full range of tilt forward motion, and if so, how they
> did it.
>
>
>
> Any ideas or suggestions from people who have made them work would be
> appreciated,
>
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob Jackson
>
>
>
> XLRG
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
>
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070714/4a1a3747/
> attachment.htm
> -------------- next part --------------
> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
> Name: not available
> Type: image/jpeg
> Size: 56535 bytes
> Desc: not available
> Url :
>
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070714/4a1a3747/
> attachment.jpeg
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
>
> End of Reflector Digest, Vol 38, Issue 63
> *****************************************
>
> __________ NOD32 2399 (20070714) Information __________
>
> This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
> http://www.eset.com
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 11:15:32 EDT
> From: NMFlyer1 at aol.com
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Switch guards, switch locks, locking
> switches??
> To: reflector at tvbf.org
> Message-ID: <d09.155c5689.33cb9414 at aol.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Chris,
>
> Since my V is all electric also, I wanted a way to manage possible
> inadvertent switching. I used AeroElectric as a guide for most of my
wiring,
> and then
> made it fit my needs.
>
> I put the 2 electric fuel pump switches up high on the pilot side of the
> panel, above the Mixture control. You can't touch it with your hand on the
> mixture, but they are close enough to be quick to reach if you need it.
>
> I laid out my switches (toggles) at the bottom of the panel in the
"normal"
> place.
> The far right is the dual ignition switch. I wired it so that either 1 is
> on.. or the other (no off). I also made it so that one side of the switch
> could
> fail (from a burned contact or such) but the other side would still remain
> operable. The only way for the idgnition switch to fail would be if it
> totally
> fell apart. If that switch gets bumped, it just switches to another
ignition
>
> system.
>
> The next switches left are the 2 Battery Switches. Up is on, Down is off.
at
>
> that point you are getting right by my knee... I'm pretty sure I'd notice
> something/someone that close. Still, you can turn one off and everything
> will
> still run. The 4th switch from the right is the "Master"  It has a "hat"
on
> it so
> that it is different from the rest.
> I have my V set up so that: If you turn off the "Master".. everything is
off
>
> except Ignition. Fuel pumps, backup gauges and panel lights. That way, If
I
> have a smoke or wire problem I can shut down everything with one switch
> except
> critical engine stuff. (to shut off the rest, just turn the ignition key,
> which
> is hiding underneath the arm rest where it cannot be bumped)
>
> The rest of the switches across the bottom are for the Pitot heat, Prop
> controls, etc.  My "emergency" switch placement is all switches up. That
> will
> switch from my starting ignition (down position) to the other, all
batteries
> on,
> master on, prop fine, pumps on. etc.
>
> As you know, it takes a lot of paper to fiddle with this stuff until you
> rationalize a decent "end".  :)  Sure is fun though. I thought I'd work by
> design
> instead of by fix. At least that was the theory :0
>
> Kurt Winker
>
>
>
> ************************************** Get a sneak peak of the all-new AOL
> at
> http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
>
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070715/9ed26032/
> attachment-0001.html
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 11:13:44 -0500
> From: John Dibble <aminetech at bluefrog.com>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Switch guards, switch locks, locking
> switches??
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Message-ID: <469A47B8.1416348D at bluefrog.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> I have some toggle switches in my panel that must be pulled out before
> they can be flipped.  That should protect against bumping.
>
> John
>
> Christopher Barber wrote:
>
> > As most of y'all may know, my project is an all electric bird
> > (Velocity SE) with a rotary engine.  Since if I loose power things get
> > quite I am using Bob Knuckls' duel alternator/duel battery set up.
> > What I am curious about is the switches in the cabin.  Currently I
> > have all the switches up high on the panel a bit right of center
> > towards the co-pilot position.  I hope to not have a passanger who
> > would inadvertanlty flip a switch down and off, HOWEVER, you never
> > know what may get tangled or a stray move may flip a switch. If my
> > coil switch or primary injectors get switched off I will start
> > sweating.  Also, I don't really mind the switches where they are, but
> > I do have a couple of other places I would like them, but I placed
> > them here as to minimize being bumped. My question is what other
> > options do I have to either guard against accidental deactivation.   I
> > have purchased a couple of aviation locking toggles from ebay, but
> > they are kinda small and may not be up for the task (but at $13.00 for
> > twoI couldn't go too wrong...they may work for my coil switch and
> > primary fuel).  The regular priced DPDT (for my contactors and
> > injectors) seem to start at close to $60.00 a piece...a bit much for
> > my police salary if other options will surfice. I have also considered
> > installing some of the switch guards you see in old nuclear missle
> > bunker movies that they would open to expose the firing buttons for
> > the big ol' missles.  I considered installing them upside down (which
> > is really easy) so that they are on when the cover is closed thus
> > making the switch impossible to turn off by mistake. This seems really
> > fool proof, however, the guards, while cheap, are pretty big and do
> > not look all that, well, elligant.  Also, I was watching the Astronaut
> > Farmer last night on PPV and saw the little hard wire loops that where
> > installed next to the switches on each side of the individual switches
> > in his space capsule and this reminded me of the ones NASA used to
> > use....maybe still do.  Donno.  These seem to be just half circles
> > that make grabbing the switch very deliberate and minimizes potential
> > knocks.  Finally, it seems as if I have seen bars held in by springs
> > that lay across a series of switches to keep them in place. What say
> > ye?  Insight?  Wisdom? Warnings? Observations?  WAG's? Thanks. All the
> > best, Chris BarberHouston crossed posted on Reflector, FlyRotary,
> > Aeroelectric Connection email list & Canard Aviation forum
> >
> >    ----------------------------------------------------------------
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
> > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives:
> > http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL:
>
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070715/7d465471/
> attachment.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
>
> End of Reflector Digest, Vol 38, Issue 65
> *****************************************
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list