REFLECTOR: Resolved!: Oil temp issue (and heat in the nose)

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Tue Jul 10 13:47:39 CDT 2007


Chuck,

I extended mine even a bit further.  It you're concerned about drag, I
didn't notice any difference in speed.  Mine is simplier.  I just
glassed it inside the existing duct and let the outside back edge take a
rounded shape.

John

Chuck Jensen wrote:

> Oh.  I guess it kind of depends on who was there first---perhaps its
> the Lycs that are "backwards"!    Thanks for the posting on your front
> cooler outlet fairing.  Do you think it needs to stick out that far to
> create the low pressure area? Chuck Jensen
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]
> On Behalf Of Hiroo Umeno
> Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 1:45 PM
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Resolved!: Oil temp issue (and heat in the
> nose)
>
> It is actually on the pilot side.  Franklins are “backwards” compared
> to the Lycons.  So, #6 is the far-aft on the pilot side and #1 is the
> co-pilot side closest to the firewall.
>
> Hiroo
>
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]
> On Behalf Of Chuck Jensen
>
> Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 10:27 AM
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Resolved!: Oil temp issue (and heat in the
> nose)
> Hiroo,
> Did you mean the oil cooler and #6 cylinder was on "co-pilot", not the
> pilot side as you wrote?  If your #6 is on the pilot side, maybe your
> engine is installed backwards.  :-)
> Chuck Jensen
> -----Original Message-----
>
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]
> On Behalf Of Hiroo Umeno
> Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 11:57 AM
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Resolved!: Oil temp issue (and heat in the
> nose)
>
> I have an arrangement that is more like “Spam Cans” where the entire
> upper cowl is pressurized through the dual NACAs on top with VGs in
> front of the inlet.  There are metal baffles around the clusters of
> cylinders with rubber flap up top that seals the interface with the
> upper cowl.  I checked to make sure that they are properly folded and
> not making any gaps that leak air.
>
> One thing I can think of is that the take-off for the rear oil cooler
> is on the Pilot side and that also is the side with the #6 that sits
> farthest from the inlet.  Perhaps enough air is being diverted into
> the oil cooler and not getting far enough back.
>
> I have yet to fabricate the Left-Right isolation baffle someone here
> has suggested so that may help.  I am also thinking that along with
> the issue I had with the front oil cooler, if the “out” is more of the
> problem than the “in”.  I am contemplating opening some holes on the
> bottom of the cowl but that seems rather drastic and permanent.
> Unless I can get some definitive data that it would help, I didn’t
> want to go there.
>
> Hiroo
>
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]
> On Behalf Of John Dibble
>
> Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 6:21 AM
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Resolved!: Oil temp issue (and heat in the
> nose)
>
> Does your plenum fit tight to the rear side of the #6?  If so, a
> 1/4-1/2" space may help.
>
> John
>
> Hiroo Umeno wrote:
>
>      Now, my #6 still runs fairly hot and that kept me from
>      climbing aggressively or doing any high-performance runs.
>      Next thing to fix.
>
>    ----------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070710/178e1008/attachment-0001.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list