REFLECTOR: Tips on stop drilling for cracks in the wind screen

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Sun Jul 8 21:13:07 CDT 2007


I forgot to mention ... before you do this.

Check your keel where you cut out the section for the push-pull elevator 
tube.  See if your keel has deformed around this cutout area.  A hard 
landing puts the keel in compression at the top.  If the keel doesn't 
keep the canard bulkhead in its place, then the fuselage may deform 
right there at the corner of the windshield.

Brian Michalk wrote:
> Beef up the fuselage there where the corner of the windshield is.
> 
> I have seen pictures of hard off field landings, and it looks like this 
> is a weak part of the fuselage.
> 
> I would put one layer of triax, maybe 1 foot by two feet centered near 
> the corner.  Long axis front to back.
> 
> Christopher Martin wrote:
> 
>>After seven years of flying and over 700 hours I have developed 2 cracks in
>>the lower, pilot side of the front wind screen. I stop drilled each with a
>>1/16th inch drill and it appeared to work. After about 40 hours I saw that
>>both cracks have continued past the stop hole by 1/8th inch. I have now
>>drilled another stop hole at each extended crack.
>>
>>Does anyone have any advice on this?
>>
>>
>>Christopher Martin
>>christophercmartin at earthlink.net
>>EarthLink Revolves Around You.
>>
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


More information about the Reflector mailing list