REFLECTOR: Wing root cooler
Al Gietzen
ALVentures at cox.net
Sat Jul 7 01:33:42 CDT 2007
I regret that I don't recall, if I ever knew, but did you incorperate the
"old" style arm pit scoops on your 20b install? I installed armpit scoops
for my 13b (which, btw, I am getting to run better everyday.....ran it with
the IVO prop, thus, with a load for the first time day before
yesterday....found manifold pressure lines which didn't seal properly, fixed
those and now have a pretty smooth running rotary).
Chris;
Sorry for the delay in responding; other things cut in line in front of you.
Take this link to the engine page on my web site, and you will find photos
of the in-cowl radiator with its 'armpit' scoop.
<http://members.cox.net/alg3/ROTARY%20ENGINE.htm>
http://members.cox.net/alg3/ROTARY%20ENGINE.htm
There is a coolant radiator in one wing root and the oil cooler in the
other. I didn't expect it to, but the 11 x 16 x 2.5" in-cowl radiator can
pretty much handle the load by itself. That scoop is very effective ( I did
have to put a couple baffles inside to get uniform flow through the core
because of the curve).
I felt that the stock scoops that came with the kit were not well designed,
doesn't mean they can't work for your installation.
Ideally, one would like to expand and slow the air, maybe by a ratio of
about 4:1 or more for good pressure recovery; then through the core, then
speeded up again in an exit duct before releasing. In my case the does a
sudden expansion coming out of the core (drag) and then is compressed and
accelerated out the rear of the cowling. Not optimum, but it works.
Best,
Al
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070706/91fbc963/attachment.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list