REFLECTOR: Sump Tank Outlet & Drain

Ron Brown romott at roadrunner.com
Wed Jul 4 12:03:17 CDT 2007


Hi Joe, 

I don't see any problem - just make the hole small and seal it up with a fire proof sealant.  Make sure the sump tank outlet is an inch or more above the bottom of the sump.  Then you won't need a separate gascolator.  The sump traps and drains any water and crud that may be in fuel system.  My Airflow Performance inline fuel filter has always been clean during inspections in 350 hours.  I have gotten a bit of crud out of the sump drain valve.  

Incidentally, I have found that by making the drain valve accessible from the outside, I can remove it and quickly install a 1/8" fitting and drain pipe to drain my fuel system fairly easily. I did this by drilling a 1" or so hole in the fuselage and installing a fitted piece of PVC pipe to match the contour of the sump bottom and cut flush with the bottom of the fuselage.  And again - make sure the drain valve does NOT protrude from the bottom of the fuselage.  I went back and raised my sump tank - which involved making a relief in the top of the tank to accept the capacitance gauge I have there.

I couldn't do what you're suggesting because I installed an emergency shut off valve, fuel filter and boost pump is in front of the firewall.  I wanted to keep this stuff out of the hot engine compartment.  

Ronnie


  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Joe Ewen 
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
  Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 12:31 PM
  Subject: REFLECTOR: Sump Tank Outlet


  My instruction manual calls for running the fuel line from the sump tank to the engine via a port on the front of the sump then via a bulkhead fitting through the firewall.  Does anyone see a reason that I could not take the line from the rear of the sump tank and through a clearance hole in the firewall?  This would result in a shorter, more direct line and have 2 less connections.

  Thanks,
  Joe


------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw   Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070704/d07a4fb5/attachment.html 


More information about the Reflector mailing list