REFLECTOR: accident/incident
John Dibble
aminetech at bluefrog.com
Mon Jan 8 21:48:23 CST 2007
Distractions come in many forms. When anyone would ask me about the issue of forgetting the retract gear, I would answer, "Do you forget to extend the flaps?" But then one night returning home I had a distraction. My airport had been working on the lights, installing a new glideslope light system. The work crew had left for the day and the runway lights did not come on. I had lined up on a 5 mile final and the lights seemed dim and clicking the PTT had no effect. That's because the runway lights were not working at all and I was seeing the taxi lights. I lined up with the taxi lights, thinking they were the runway lights. I had trouble seeing where
the runway began and that caused me to come in a little high. Then at 100' agl, my landing light lit up the white runway marks and I saw them off to my left. I immediately added power and began to climb. I turned left to cross the runway and as I did so I realized the gear was still up. Never heard the gear warning, but I think I wasn't slow enough to activate it. A warning when you are 2 miles from the airport would be nice.
John
> Terry Miles wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
>
>
> I want to chime in on this one, for what little I have to offer, I feel the need to be a part of this pain everyone in an RG feels when we hear of gear up landings.
>
>
>
> I am certain that I am not the best pilot in the Velo community, but I have this...and thats 37 plus years as a working pilot. That means I got to see my own mistakes and shortcomings over and over, year after year after year
.only to be saved by the guy sitting in the other seat saying Hey, what about
.?
>
>
>
> If I could boil it down, for me, it was lack of focus on flying the airplane when some cockpit distracter filled my head and drew my attention even after it was addressed and the system and the bird were both safe and stabilized. Air carrier accident history is full of examples of this repeat problem. After the EAL accident into the Everglades in a brand new L1011, The Flying Tiger Line added a first step of every emergency checklist. It read: Captain designates the flying pilot.
>
>
>
> I am very concerned, especially now in my 60s that I will have the where-with-all to keep flying when I have other tasks to complete and theres no co-pilot with me. If it concerns you too; try this. Buy yourself a little flashing light at the dime store and dangle it from a string right next to your attitude indicator. Pretend it is whatever distracter you want to make it. Fly the airplane. Treat the problem(s). Fly the airplane. Treat the problems. Keep it cycling in your head and in your hands. In my head I know how to play a perfect game of tennis, but it takes muscle practice. So does flying and practice with distractions in my opinion.
>
>
>
> Airliner cockpits are filled with a million buzzers and claxtons and oogles, bells, whistles, whoop whoops, you name it. That $1200 article Len suggests could save the day I am not talking against it
but here is an idea that caught on at FedEx which we copied from some guy they hired who came out of commuters.
>
>
>
> As you acknowledge and read back cleared to land or at 500 AGL or at whatever consistent point you pick, have little toggle switch (the nose lite maybe). Think of this as a sterile time. Use the physical movement of that switch as your brain and body confirmation that all is complete, that you are configured and fully prepared to land, that Fly the airplanetreat the problem cycle is over and you are now on fly the airplane. The pilot is not fully focused, but dealing with it.
>
>
>
> Al, like most of the guys on this list, I already know you are one heck of guy, and Id like to state it publicly that you have been very helpful to me both on and off the Reflector list. I for one dont need further explanations beyond what you have already told us.
>
>
>
> Terry
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Darrell & Nora Kufalk
> Sent: Monday, January 08, 2007 5:25 PM
> To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: accident/incident
>
>
>
> Len,
>
>
>
> I put one of these Gear Alerts in my XLRG.
>
> http://www.flyingsafer.com/2037.htm
>
>
>
> You can buy them through Aircraft Spruce.
>
> http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/gearalert.php
>
>
>
> I am not flying yet but I have it installed and when I press the test button it says CHECK GEAR POSITION 3 times very loudly through the intercom and from its built in speaker. A little pricey at $1,245 but I think it will be good insurance.
>
>
>
> Darrell
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of len.baxter at gm.com
> Sent: Monday, January 08, 2007 9:30 AM
> To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: accident/incident
>
>
>
> Al
>
> Very sorry to hear of your mishap..... we are have all committed "pilot error" at one time or anouther..... most the time the result is less painfull. Any thoughts on the best way to warn of an impending "gear up incident" .... I have been looking at some of the Voice warning systems as a redundancy to the horn, but would appreciate your thoughts.
>
> Good luck at getting back into the air soon!!!
>
> Len Baxter
> XLRG (just started)
>
> Cell 586-940-9224
>
> __________________
>
> Subject: REFLECTOR: accident/incident
>
>
>
>
>
> What's up.....?
>
>
>
> Yes; sad. It would have been a nice landing had the gear been down. One can always find reasons distractions, etc; but it boils down to simply pilot error. Even I cant believe it.
>
>
>
> Less damaging than a gear collapse. Relatively smooth ride to a stop. Bottom of fuselage scraped, slight damage on left wing tip, Catto prop destroyed. Damaged emotions. Not too bad; considering. Got jacks under the wings, lifted the nose, put the gear down, and towed it back to the hangar.
>
>
>
> Al
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list