REFLECTOR: Adding a door
Chuck Harbert
c.harbert at comcast.net
Wed Jan 3 16:35:56 CST 2007
Just wanted to add a few thoughts to the discussion that Hiroo started. When
I decided I had to make an easier entry (for my wife) into the my "top
loader", I did some research and found that it had already been done (i.e
Wright door?). I decided to make it strong enough to be a stair as well,
since I was told that the original split door Elite on display at Sun'n'Fun
had this happen accidently a few times. I asked a structural engineer to
review what I was planning and he okayed my plan. I got an ex-Velocity
factory builder (Scott Lower) to help me do the work (he's an expert). It
was definitely not an easy job (2-3 weeks), and the latching mechanism is
complicated.
Here's what I now think:
Good points:
1. Very easy to get in/out, especially back seat, or in an emergency
2. Nice to taxi in hot weather with the stair down for ventilation
3. Easier to service panel instruments, etc.
4. I think it adds some additional value
Bad points:
1. Big job and expensive (if you don't do it all yourself)
2. Upper hatch window has a sharp point on lower forward edge to match
fuselage (possible head poke) and there's a square edge protruding from the
strake that I've bumped my back on a couple times. No big deal.
3. The latching mechanism requires two hands to close. I need to improve
design.
Overall, I'd do it again if I had a top loader, but I wouldn't if I had an
SUV that I could get a factory door for. It's too much trouble to split the
door and design a new latching mechanism IMO (although Scott L is
considering this on his Elite).
----------------------------------------------
> *Would be very interested to see any examples of elite doors being split
> and used as stairs into the aircraft?.would make a heap of sense for
> ease of access and lessen gas strut forces to open the top half of the
> door?.also think it great for taxi-ing.
The Elite door system began its life as an experiment in air-stairs. The
lower part required additional reinforcement, the split in the middle
made for additional sealing issues. But the worst part was the shape of
the door cutout where the two halves joined. It had a sharp point --
destined to cause gashes in thighs and ankles.
More information about the Reflector
mailing list