REFLECTOR: Adding a door
lawrence epstein
ljepstein at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 2 21:27:21 CST 2007
The original Velocity's were all "top door". When the door was changed to
extend below the strake on both sides, the keel was added/lengthened to add
torsional/longitudinal stiffness lost with the door openings. You would
need to reproduce this in your airplane. I would stick with the factory
"kit" in this regard, assuming that they kept that in mind when they created
it.
Larry Epstein
>From: Hiroo Umeno <humeno at microsoft.com>
>Reply-To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
>To: "amillin at sbcglobal.net" <amillin at sbcglobal.net>, Velocity
>Aircraft Ownersand Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
>Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Adding a door
>Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 15:51:48 -0800
>
>I guess there aren't enough single-door Velo's out there for them to put
>the retrofit kit on the Velocity Store<g>. I'll definitely consider
>factory retrofit kit.
>
>What I am not exactly certain is your statement about the structure.
>Looking at the door section of the fuselage, and recalling how I have built
>that area, I do recall it was essentially the fuselage that is cut open to
>the cut line and bonded with the carbon beam and the hinge area
>re-enforcements. You, then, built up the lips and other structure that
>will go along with the door.
>
>As for the door itself, it looks to me like it is the standard fiberglass
>sandwich with the frame all the way around. It seems to me that you should
>be able to replicate a fairly similar setup (of course, why would I do that
>if I can just get all the parts I need from the factory).
>
>On the other hand, this does present an interesting opportunity for some
>creative modifications. I think Chuck was the one who has the handy
>"Airstair" mod that opens up and down to help alleviate some of the
>step-height issues. I know he did that on the "pop-top" variety but it
>seems to me that it can be adapted to the Elite type as well.
>
>Expanding on the dual-split "up and down" door concept, I could imagine
>elongating the top portion of the opening a bit to the rear so that the
>rear seat occupants can get in a bit easier (the main benefit of the
>pop-top)...
>
>Hiroo
>
>________________________________
>From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
>Behalf Of Andy Millin
>Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 11:31 AM
>To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
>Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Adding a door
>
>Hey Hiroo,
>
>I'm not sure the procedure would change much between a completed plane and
>the kit. You gotta do what you gotta do...
>
>The Texas Attorney, Mr. Chris Barber, added the second door to his SUV, and
>is now the de facto authority. :)
>
>I'm not sure the part of the fuselage that gets cut out could be re-used.
>The door frames have quite a bit of structure to them that just isn't there
>in the fuselage wall. Your beautiful, existing window will most likely be
>cut out for the door opening and later discarded.
>
>I'm finding out how much fun fitting and finishing the doors can be. It
>can be a bit tedious, but it really isn't that bad.
>
>Building the door was actually pretty painless. You could probably order a
>"fast build" door from Velocity. (Window and latching mechanism already
>installed) The only downside could/might be a door window that isn't as
>well aligned with the other windows.
>
>You will need to:
> Cut the hole
> Dress the edges
> Add the triax re-enforcement around the opening
> Pot the pin tubes
> Mount the gas spring
> Fit and finish
>
>I would imagine you could have it back in the air with a couple of weeks of
>work. If you have to install your own window, then it will take a bit
>longer.
>
>Would you be using Kitplanes Northwest to help?
>
>Andy
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>________________________________
>From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
>Behalf Of Hiroo Umeno
>Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 1:37 PM
>To: reflector at tvbf.org
>Subject: REFLECTOR: Adding a door
>Now that N21HV is in the air (sometime) we are starting to think about what
>comes after all the tweaks are done. My wife has signed herself up to
>doing the upholstery (she has done a few cars and much furniture in the
>past). She's also going to do the exterior paint scheme as well.
>
>But, before we get into those, there is the (sore) subject of the door.
>When I initially ordered the kit, I ordered the SUV since I wanted the yoke
>control. The option to have SE with yoke wasn't offered back then and the
>SUV was on "launch special pricing". Of course, I wasn't married and
>thought I might have an occasional passenger or two and figured that single
>door wasn't a big deal.
>
>That was then, and now, the situation is a bit different. My wife loves to
>fly (with me, but not at the controls) and after climbing in and out of the
>plane a few times on the ground I hear no end about how "un-ladylike" the
>whole process of getting to the right seat is. Particularly, since, even
>tough we are the same height; she has legs full six inches longer than me.
>
>So, in the interest of domestic tranquility and from keeping her from
>insisting on me trading in the Velocity for a Wichita Wonder, I need to
>think about adding a door to the plane, and before the upholstery and paint
>goes on.
>
>Has anyone added a door to a completed plane? How difficult is that?
>Since my kit was delivered with the door pretty much all done, I have no
>idea how much work it would entails. Particularly, since the passenger
>side window is already installed, it would be a real pain if I had to re-do
>the window.
>
>Can the whole passenger side fuselage panel (including the installed
>window) somehow be re-purposed into a door? My cursory inspection shows
>that I could potentially build-up a frame forward of the carbon beam, then
>cut around to create the door from the fuselage itself. Is this too
>simplistic?
>
>Any pit-falls and considerations?
>
>Hiroo
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list