REFLECTOR: Exhaust coating

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Mon Feb 19 13:10:13 CST 2007


I had my intake manifold coated as well. For heat rejection getting into 
the manifold. The cost was not significant, so I had them do inside and 
out for all of my stuff.

I made my exhaust with slip joints, and I had to remove the coating at 
the slip joints with a Dremel. The ceramic coating is *very* hard.

Al Gietzen wrote:
>
> *Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 33, Issue 61 Exhaust 
> coating
>
> The consensus seems to be that if you coat only one side, coat the 
> inside. Coating the outside and not the inside causes the exhaust 
> pipes to become very hot with no way to dissipate the heat. It's my 
> understanding that cracks will show up with the ceramic coating 
> without a problem. Wrapping the exhaust pipes is considered by many to 
> be the worst of all worlds--it keeps the pipes very hot and makes 
> crack detection difficult. However, mine are neither ceramic coated 
> nor wrapped, so I'm just passing along CW.
>
>
> Chuck Jensen
>
> Chuck;
>
> I’ll back you up on all counts. I’ll add that, IMHO; coating outside 
> only is primarily for appearance. The coatings are very thin (.007 - 
> .010”, IIRC), and therefore have very little insulating ability 
> (conductive temp drop). And the emissivity (radiation transfer 
> coefficient) of the outside is generally not that high anyway (at 
> least for SS pipes). The bigger gain by coating the inside is the 
> reduction in the radiation heat transfer from the hot gasses to the 
> wall by lowering the emissivity.
>
> FWIW, also just passing along CW (and I don’t even know what CW is) J
>
> Al
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list