REFLECTOR: CBs and fuses
John Overman
mooneydryver at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 18 10:16:35 CST 2007
Hi Bill;
I ordered them from Mouser Electronics, they are
also available from Digi-Key and Allied Electronics
Supply. They are called PTC resettable fuses and are
manufactured by Bournes, Raychem Tyco, and Little
Fuse. There is a good explaination about how the work
on Raychem and most of the other's websites. Here's a
rough explaination of how the work. They contain
"tracks" of carbon which makes the connection. When
they get hot the tracks "flow out" so they are no
longer conductive thus breaking the circuit. If the
device causing the overload is shut off, the fuse
quickly cools and the tracks reform thus "resetting"
the fuse. If the device is not turned off the circuit
remains open. I will install them in "Proto-Board" and
hard wire them to terminal blocks (Buchanan terminal
blocks) also from Mouser 12 terminals 2.5"wide for
$6.03, mounted along the edge of the board.
I ordered the RayChem fuses because they have them
rated up to 14 amps and they can be paralleled which
would give you a 28 Amp fuse. 0.5 amp fuses are $0.54
ea. and 14amp fuses are $1.34 ea.
They are reported to trip faster, and more
accurately, than a breaker and cool to reset faster.
Greg Richter (Blue Mountain Avionics) uses them in his
"Power Board".
I hope this isn't more information than you wanted,
and that it helps.
John Overman
Velocity RG N711VE (reserved)
--- Bill Bradburry <bbradburry at allvantage.com> wrote:
> Hi John.
> Where will you get the resettable fuses? Several
> folks on the list have
> suggested that I install CBs in my flight critical
> areas. I am thinking
> that the resettable fuses might solve the problem...
> What do you think?
>
> Bill Bradburry (Lancair Legacy FG / Renesis)
>
>
> Subject:
> Re: [FlyRotary] CBs and fuses
> From:
> John Overman <mooneydryver at yahoo.com>
> Date:
> Sat, 17 Feb 2007 16:15:29 -0800 (PST)
>
> Al or anyone, speaking of fuses, I'm about to order
> PTC resettable fuses in my Velocity, and haven't
> been
> able to find any load values for the stock mazda
> coils, the fuel injectors, the EC2 or the EM2, Al as
> I
> recall you are using LS1 coils not Mazda but I
> haven't
> come up with anything. I even looked in the RX7
> manual
> to see what size fuse Mazda used. It just says the
> fuses are listed under the cap.
> John Overman
> Velocity RG N711VE
> (reserved)
>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list