REFLECTOR: Corvette Seats

Rich Guerra rich at rguerra.com
Fri Feb 16 10:12:28 CST 2007


Jack,

> I've notice in the archive the mention of people using Corvette seats, so for
> those that have used Corvette seats...
>
> Did you use the whole seat or just part of it?

just the back bolted oonto the factory seat pans.  There is a picture of this on
my website in the 'Miscellaneous Systems Work Part II" section.

BTW, there is a search function that is directed only at my site at the bottom
of the intro page.  The site got so huge that I put it in to find stuff more
easily.  Whenever someone posted a question on the Reflector, I generally tried
to answer it with a picture or two on the site.

Search for 'Corvette' and that will take you to that page with the photo.


> What year of Corvette were they taken out of?

2000 or 2001.  It probaby doesn't really matter.  We all used the simple, basic
seats.  No electric motors or heaters which weigh a lot more and most likely
WOULD require more mods and may not fit.  You would have to actually look at
them closely to be sure.  Might be a nice excuse to go to a dealer and check out
some nice cars.  :-)

If I remember correctly, the only difference the year made (at least in the
couple of years around 2000) was in the design on the upholstery. Colors were
limited to red, black, and silver//grey (which is what I have) in my year.

> Did the hole pattern of the attach points change and did you have to move the
> hardpoint positions?

Since we just bolted the seat backs onto the seat pans from the factory, no
changes were required.


> Did you use the foam from the seats?

yes and no.  the center of the seat bottoms for the front seats were sliced out
and replaced with a sheet of temperfoam (Confor Form at ACS  3 inch sheets 
$71.65 )  THAT makes a BIG difference.  Hard as rock for a minute or two on a
cold day, but perfectly soft thereafter.  Makes a BIG difference on multihour
flights.  The rest of the foam was left alone.

> Did you use Corvette seats for the rear as well as the front seats?

yes.  easier to make matched sets.

> Are you happy with them after going to that extra trouble?
>

very much so.

> Any other info would be appreciated.
>

The trick will be to find a friendly Chevy dealer to help out to buy parts. 
Mitch Ide was a great help when we were building. I think he sold his plane and
I've since lost contact.  Googling him finds the contact info below.  I believe
it's the same guy.

Mitch Ide's Ideal Chevy Oldsmobile
4181 Route 20 A
Geneseo, New York  14454
(585) 243-2002

Hope this info is of some help to everyone.

Rich Guerra
Velocity XL RG N724X
RACE 24
http://www.rguerra.com/velocity/


More information about the Reflector mailing list