No subject
Sun Dec 16 17:37:43 CST 2007
aircraft installation, not the engine model. So, you can't just say
IO-540-C4B5 and be guaranteed you will have the correct brackets. Maybe you
will, maybe you won't. You need to check.
As there was a possibility of having the wrong part, my luck held. Ha!
I have spent the last couple of days working on getting the 70456 brackets.
I have spoken with G&N, Mattituck, Wentworth, White Industries, Don George,
Aircraft Specialty Services, Colorado Air Parts, Reno Aviation, Air Parts
Inc, etc. I bet I called 15 different places.
A couple of years ago this was a non-issue. Engine building shops had ample
supplies of both types and many were willing to do a straight up swap.
Well, times have changed and the RV-10 happened. Van's engine mount is
designed for Dynafocal 1 and they have been soaking up the available supply.
If a shop has them, they are not eager to give them up. They have plenty of
the 2", 72306.
I was very fortunate to speak with Derrick Slack at Penn Yan Aero. This
wonderful man was willing to make the exchange with me. I did get the
distinct feeling that he might not be able to make the same trade in the
future.
FWIW, A.E.R.O. now makes a billet version of our 70456 mount. Non-PMA,
experimental use only. Looks great. $93.75/ea.
Maybe Velocity will look into offering Dynafocal 2 in the future. Maybe
people are moving enough to the Continental that this is a non-issue???
Another note just for general knowledge:
Velocity provides the Barry mounts 94110-02 with our install kits. Barry
lists this as the mount for the 300 HP IO-540s. They list the 94110-01 as
the mount for the 260HP IO-540. First, I had every confidence that Velocity
sent the right mounts. But, since another part was listed for the
application I figured I would like to know the difference. I wrote to Barry
controls. Here is the reply:
-------------------------
To answer your question, the spring rates of the two isolators are similar
and dimensionally they are identical. The major difference between the two
parts is the rubber used to fabricate them. The 94110-01 is a natural rubber
isolator, the 94110-02 is a butyl rubber isolator.
Natural rubber has better tear resistance than butyl rubber, but butyl
rubber has a higher temperature limit than natural rubber.
I hope this has been helpful, please let us know if we can be of further
assistance.
Thank you,
Todd Thomas
Manager, Technical Services
Accountable Manager, FAA Repair Station #UT3R905L Barry Controls Aerospace
4510 Vanowen Burbank, CA 91505
FWIW,
Andy
=====================================
Andy Millin
amillin at sbcglobal.net
More information about the Reflector
mailing list