REFLECTOR: Exhaust/cowling

Unterreiner naomi at yadtel.net
Thu Dec 27 13:55:58 CST 2007


Tom,

I have IO-540 cylinders with up exhaust on my Velocity. The exhaust are as 
close as 1" from the top of my cowls. I used a heat barrier made by Cool It. 
You can get it from Jegs P/N 893-13500. It is rated to 2000F and is 
flexible. I applied it with high temp silicone and it hasn't moved. You can 
also check your local auto parts store, they may carry similar products.

Dean
----- Original Message ----- 
From: <reflector-request at tvbf.org>
To: <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2007 1:00 PM
Subject: Reflector Digest, Vol 43, Issue 82


> Send Reflector mailing list submissions to
> reflector at tvbf.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> reflector-request at tvbf.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> reflector-owner at tvbf.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Reflector digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. Re:  Just a note (Khasky, Albert)
>   2. Re:  Exhaust/cowling (Ron Brown)
>   3. Re:  Deflected Gear Leg - Carbon Fiber? (Ron Brown)
>   4. Re:  Deflected Gear Leg - Carbon Fiber? (Lou Stedman)
>   5. Re:  Fuel shut off valve (Jim & Sharon Beck)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 16:19:34 -0600
> From: "Khasky, Albert" <Albert.Khasky at Virteva.com>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Just a note
> To: "davedent at comcast.net" <davedent at comcast.net>, Velocity Aircraft
> Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Message-ID:
> <14C79AC22C7B7C46B52FE33C3D9B62B10151B3A8AD at owa.virteva.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Yup! My son Henri's! He turned one on Xmas day!!
>
> Jesus was born on the 14th of May in 6 BC by the way ;-)
>
> All in fun!
> Merry Christmas!
>
> ________________________________
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On 
> Behalf Of davedent at comcast.net
> Sent: Tuesday, December 25, 2007 11:27 AM
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Just a note
>
> Marry Christmas everyone.  Let use never forget whose birthday we 
> celebrate this day.
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20071226/64078186/attachment.html
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 18:23:11 -0500
> From: "Ron Brown" <romott at roadrunner.com>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Exhaust/cowling
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Message-ID: <00b801c84816$486e7ce0$56041862 at romott>
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
> reply-type=original
>
> Tom,
>
> I have the factory exhausts and the factory blister for the #1 cylinder on
> the IO360.
>
> I am not near the plane so I can't go measure how close it is in there - 
> but
> I'd guess it is 1-2" to 3/4" between the bare pipe and the inside of the
> blister.  After 360 hours, the inside of the blister is a bit brown (I
> coated the inside of my cowls with JeffCo (left over from the fuel tanks -
> to minimize the oil bleed through some folks said they were having with
> their cowls).  Another thing that I did was leave plenty of clearance 
> around
> the exhaust outlets where they go through the cowl.  I left about 1" all
> around to promote some air movement there and to the front of the engine. 
> I
> have a temperature sensor measuring my under cowl temps at cruise and 
> seldom
> see over 180 degrees
>
> The blister and the outside of the blister are fine - still white and 
> stiff.
>
> Perhaps it is because the cowls were heated over a period of time. I.e.,
> first engine run procedure, taxi tests then first flight.  The Tg of the
> epoxy can be raised if you don't try to do it all at one time - else you 
> can
> get the sagging.  (applies to engine air plenums too!)
>
> Ronnie Brown
>
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: "Tom" <tomcat05 at comcast.net>
> To: <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Monday, December 24, 2007 3:48 PM
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Exhaust/cowling
>
>
>> Had a funky 4 into one exhaust (single crossover), mild steel with no
>> slip joints. I knew that this wouldn't work for long and it let go just
>> before I needed plane for Christmas travel to be with family (wife is
>> pissed). Anyhow I called Velocity and was told the two pipe, 2 into one
>> system should be an easy install (IO-360). Bolted up nice and easy but
>> the cowling was hitting the pipes at the #1 cyl (left, rear). Cut a slot
>> in lower cowl and added a blister with 1/2" clearance, wrapped the
>> exhaust and test flew. After landing cowling was bubbling and smoking.
>> Tried some insulation on a 2nd test flight but it was touching exhaust
>> and had similar issues. 2 questions:
>> 1) how much clearance do you need between exhaust pipe and cowl?--I'm
>> working on a larger blister now
>> 2) what's a good insulation material that's not too wide?? thx Tom
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 18:40:21 -0500
> From: "Ron Brown" <romott at roadrunner.com>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Deflected Gear Leg - Carbon Fiber?
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Message-ID: <00eb01c84818$ae35de40$56041862 at romott>
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
> reply-type=original
>
>
> Assuming the bottom of the gear legs are not too deformed (as in departed
> like Lou's),   could we not wrap the bottoms of the legs with several 
> layers
> of carbon fiber to provide the strength lost by the over heating -  I'm
> thinking up to past the area of the main tires?
>
> Ronnie
>
>
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: "Lou Stedman" <stedmanlou at adelphia.net>
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Tuesday, December 25, 2007 1:00 AM
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Deflected Gear Leg
>
>
>>I had my lower gear leg depart on landing. The best fix is to purchase a
>>set
>> of aluminum booties from Velocity. Then you will never have the problem
>> again. The fix is easy and quick. However it is not cheap. The pair of
>> booties, which replaces the bottom four inches of both legs runs about
>> $1100.00. Give me  a call if I can help. 716-378-6126
>>
>> Lou Stedman
>> Velocity N7044Q
>> Olean, NY
>> ----- Original Message ----- 
>> From: "Unterreiner" <naomi at yadtel.net>
>> To: <reflector at tvbf.org>
>> Sent: Monday, December 24, 2007 10:11 PM
>> Subject: REFLECTOR: Deflected Gear Leg
>>
>>
>>>I deflected my lower gear leg due to overheating the brakes. Has anyone
>>>had
>>> the same problem and if so were you able to straighten the gear leg? I
>>> would
>>> appreciate any advice in this subject. Have a Merry Christmas everyone.
>>>
>>> Dean Unterreiner
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 23:08:07 -0500
> From: "Lou Stedman" <stedmanlou at adelphia.net>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Deflected Gear Leg - Carbon Fiber?
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Message-ID: <003301c8483e$166be0c0$8be74e4a at owner8egdx0kyo>
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
> reply-type=original
>
> The previous owner of my aircraft had done just that. I sure wouldn't 
> trust
> it.
>
> Lou Stedman
> Velocity N7044Q
> Olean, NY
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: "Ron Brown" <romott at roadrunner.com>
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2007 6:40 PM
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Deflected Gear Leg - Carbon Fiber?
>
>
>>
>> Assuming the bottom of the gear legs are not too deformed (as in departed
>> like Lou's),   could we not wrap the bottoms of the legs with several
>> layers
>> of carbon fiber to provide the strength lost by the over heating -  I'm
>> thinking up to past the area of the main tires?
>>
>> Ronnie
>>
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- 
>> From: "Lou Stedman" <stedmanlou at adelphia.net>
>> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
>> Sent: Tuesday, December 25, 2007 1:00 AM
>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Deflected Gear Leg
>>
>>
>>>I had my lower gear leg depart on landing. The best fix is to purchase a
>>>set
>>> of aluminum booties from Velocity. Then you will never have the problem
>>> again. The fix is easy and quick. However it is not cheap. The pair of
>>> booties, which replaces the bottom four inches of both legs runs about
>>> $1100.00. Give me  a call if I can help. 716-378-6126
>>>
>>> Lou Stedman
>>> Velocity N7044Q
>>> Olean, NY
>>> ----- Original Message ----- 
>>> From: "Unterreiner" <naomi at yadtel.net>
>>> To: <reflector at tvbf.org>
>>> Sent: Monday, December 24, 2007 10:11 PM
>>> Subject: REFLECTOR: Deflected Gear Leg
>>>
>>>
>>>>I deflected my lower gear leg due to overheating the brakes. Has anyone
>>>>had
>>>> the same problem and if so were you able to straighten the gear leg? I
>>>> would
>>>> appreciate any advice in this subject. Have a Merry Christmas everyone.
>>>>
>>>> Dean Unterreiner
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 23:05:27 -0800
> From: "Jim & Sharon Beck" <jsbeck at charter.net>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Fuel shut off valve
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Message-ID: <004801c84856$dc96b230$c2d2cd18 at VALUED7B9600FA>
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
> reply-type=original
>
> Andy
> I just finished adding a shut off valve last week.  I mounted it on the
> floor just inside the door by the seat track seat track. the cable runs 
> back
> through the duct. ( only requires a six foot cable from AS.  the bracket 
> has
> a hinged cover that tapers to the front so the knob cannot work forward 
> with
> the cover closed.  I have a hand grenade type pin in the front and if you
> pull the pin the cover pops up ( spring loaded) and allows you to pull the
> knob forward to shut off fuel. cover is also covered with barber pole red
> and white striped reflectorized tape. no way to inadvertently shut off 
> fuel.
> Cover also protects the knob so you cannot damage it entering or exiting.
> This worked for me as I am short of panel space and it moves the shut off 
> to
> a position where it will never be pulled accidentally.
> Jim
> 173RG  now 250 hours
>
>
>
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: "Andrew Ellzey" <ajlz72756 at yahoo.com>
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2007 4:59 PM
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Fuel shut off valve
>
>
>>I am working on my fuel system and wanted to know how many builders added 
>>a
>>push pull cable to their fuel shut off valve to be able to shut off their
>>fuel in case of fire. I am considering adding a locking T handle with easy
>>access for the pilot. If anyone has already made this modification, I 
>>would
>>be interested in pictures and a parts list of materials used.
>>
>> Andy Ellzey
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose
>
> End of Reflector Digest, Vol 43, Issue 82
> ***************************************** 



More information about the Reflector mailing list