REFLECTOR: Stick Force

Joe Ewen Jewen at comporium.net
Tue Dec 18 17:10:26 CST 2007


All,
Thanks for the feedback on the topic, it is appreciated.

Al,
I would certainly appreciate any measurements you can make.

Thanks,
Joe


  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Al Gietzen 
  To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list' 
  Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 11:30 AM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Stick Force


  Subject: REFLECTOR: Stick Force



  Has anyone measured the force on the control stick in flight?  If not does anyone have an estimate on the force the trim spring applies or the force required to make a control deflection.  I can not use the factory trim spring, there is no room left behind the panel for it.  I think I have a concept that will work, I just need to calculate the spring force and rate.  All help is appreciated.

  Thanks,

  Joe

  Joe;



  I'll be at the airport sometime in the next few days, and can get an approximate measurement on my plane for you if that would still be useful.  I narrowed the original factory spring to reduce the force to make it possible to get near full deflection in one direction while the trim motor was run to the extreme in the opposite direction.  Basically the idea is that if the motor ran to full down trim (elevator up) for whatever reason (such a case has been reported here), it would still be possible for a fairly strong arm to pull back far enough (elevator down) for a good landing.  The resulting spring is about 1 ½" wide, and gives a good stick feel and trim control. 



  I assumed that it would take nearly full down deflection for landing, but in fact on my plane with the Wingco canard I'm sure I never use full deflection; and generally find I have trimmed to about 1" down.  



  Al



------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20071218/30061fb9/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list