REFLECTOR: Stick Force

Alex Balic velocity_pilot at verizon.net
Tue Dec 18 09:46:17 CST 2007


Since Canard aircraft do not really have an elevator as such, the spring is
there to position the canard flap for operation at various airspeeds- it
could be less firm, but it would need to flex more then to impart the same
amount of force on the flap to keep it in the required position- the rate
would be different certainly and adjustment can be made to the spring as per
Scott Swing, but keep in mind the function of the spring and make sure that
it does not run out of travel...

 

  _____  

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of John Dibble
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 9:12 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Stick Force

 

IMO, the main function of the spring is to dampen the elevator thus
providing pitch stability.  I think it probably doesn't need to be as stiff
as provided by the factory.  Steve Korney has reduced the stiffness of his
spring without any reports of instability. 

My 2 cents, 
John 

Joe Ewen wrote: 

Has anyone measured the force on the control stick in flight?  If not does
anyone have an estimate on the force the trim spring applies or the force
required to make a control deflection.  I can not use the factory trim
spring, there is no room left behind the panel for it.  I think I have a
concept that will work, I just need to calculate the spring force and rate.
All help is appreciated. Thanks,Joe 

 





  _____  



_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
 <http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector>  
Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20071218/5ce6254e/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list