REFLECTOR: Of door seals
Terry Miles
terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 16 15:36:43 CST 2007
Ronnie,
Thanks for the tip. Silicon on the top didn't work. I'll look at
that.gotta run.no time.xmas at the in laws in snow and ice of NH
T
_____
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Ron Brown
Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2007 12:02 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Of door seals
Andy/Terry
I used the factory U channel and it has worked well. The first time I
mounted it, it leaked like a sieve. I tried putting silicone caulk on the
edge, but no luck. Then I removed the U channel, cleaned up the caulk, and
reinstalled it with the silicone caulk in the bottom of the U. WORKS!
Actually, I do have a bit of a leak behind the pilot's head. The problem is
that I mounted the carbon fiber stiffener too far forward and did not get a
wide enough flange for the U channel. But with the canopy cover, she stays
pretty dry inside.
Ronnie
----- Original Message -----
From: Terry <mailto:terrence_miles at hotmail.com> Miles
To: 'Velocity Aircraft <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org> Owners and Builders
list'
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2007 11:08 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Of door seals
Andy,
Great find! The factory U channel-like all of what's on that McM page--will
distort some as it goes around the corners, and it has to be fully inserted
into the corners but not stuffed to the point of serious distortion. That
said even in flat areas it can spread apart excessively if you get too big a
whack with that mallet---or (as I have) you pull it off and on a lot of
times. You can re pinch the metal inserts back into form somewhat, but the
more handling it gets the worse the good pinch quality becomes.
#21 of the ones on that catalog page you ref'd could be great in the flats
because of its compressibility potential, but it could distort pretty bad in
the corners, or need little slits cut so it didn't bunch up and then the
slits could compromise the water seal, and all this at a much higher per
foot price than straight strip material or better info on how to make the
best use of kit parts. I am trying to give the rain water entering along
the top edge of the door a large enuf running path (volumetric capacity) to
go around the top portions of the door-to-frame using as light a seal
compression as I can. With a more robust compression seal, especially one
applied all the way around, you will have a door that is a bear to close and
latch. That flexible feeler gauge idea that Larry or Dave or somebody
suggested is a good one. I am going to work with that and with flat strips
supplementing my factory U channel, and see if I can't get this solved.
Thank you to everyone who has chimed in here. I will report back with what
I used in the end.
Terry
_____
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Andrew Ellzey
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2007 10:25 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Of door seals
Look at pages 3342 & 3343 of McMaster car, seals 15 or 16 looks like should
seal out air or water. Has anyone tried these? http://www.mcmaster.com/
Andy Ellzey
----- Original Message ----
From: Terry Miles <terrence_miles at hotmail.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2007 8:12:13 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Of door seals
Lar,
I am not sure that I put this out there before. Here is a P/N from McMaster
car. My feeling is this stuff likely in combination with the kit door seal
has good potential for further testing.
First http://www.mcmaster.com/ the search on PN 9369k64 It looks
like it could be similar to that non inflatable product you showed us that
avtec is selling. In the McM website they explain the properties of all the
sealing materials that they sell. My first go at this I bought the
narrowest strips 3/8ths out of concern for the total compressibility I would
have to overcome to get the door closed, but I found it compresses real
nice.
I am going to order the wider strips for my next shot at a water tight seal
for the doors. .except the only shots I am doing for the next 3 weeks will
be brandy going into the egg nog. This can wait until January.
Terry
_____
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of lawrence epstein
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 8:14 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Of door seals
Has anyone tried these door seals?:
http://www.avtek2.com/door-Seal%20Chart.htm
I know that someone had posted the url in the past.
Larry Epstein
_____
> Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 23:42:43 -0800
> From: drgolf369 at yahoo.com
> To: reflector at tvbf.org
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Of door seals
>
> Bob Fields Accessories Company number is : 805) 525-6236 (w)
>
> ----- Original Message ----
> From: David Scharfenberg <dave at winco.net>
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Saturday, December 8, 2007 11:52:07 PM
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Of door seals and two bars
>
>
> Hi Terry
>
> Here are a couple of pics of my tow bar. The handle is made from some
> different sizes of steel tubing that telescope, and two quick pins.
> The end that clamps to the nose fork is made from some steel strap, 2
> hinges, 2 short pieces of round tubing, a 5/16 bolt with the treads cut
>
> off, and some stick-on felt. I just place the jaws around the nose
> fork and slide the bolt through the 2 tubing pieces. I also have a
> longer handle to replace the "T" handle. It hooks to my tug (golf
> cart). It works really well.
>
> Dave
>
>
>
>
>
> Tow bar
>
>
>
> Tow bar 2
>
>
>
>
>
> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
>
>
>
____________________________________________________________________________
________
> Be a better friend, newshound, and
> know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.
http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-----Inline Attachment Follows-----
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_____
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20071216/cc35397d/attachment-0001.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list