REFLECTOR: Ice

Darrell & Nora Kufalk kufalk at wi.rr.com
Sun Dec 16 12:21:41 CST 2007


No, not that kind of ice.  I'm wondering about icy runways and taxiways.
Being a new Velo pilot, I am worried about takeoffs and landings on icy
runways using differential braking.

Here in southeast Wisconsin we just had our 4th significant snow storm this
month.  We are running out of places to put it all.  I just got finished
shoveling another 5 inches of snow from in front of my hanger while trying
to not get run over by a John Deere 544D with a 25 foot blade on it.  There
is so much snow the plow driver was pushing away the 10 foot high piles from
between the taxiways to make room for wide low wing aircraft.  Even with 4
wheel drive, he was spinning his wheels.

Needless to say the taxiways and runways are solid ice covered with a thin
layer of snow.  They are extremely slippery.  I'm afraid to even try to taxi
on this stuff.  The first turn I try to make I can see myself going right
into the snow bank.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Darrell
N207DK 8 hours so far






More information about the Reflector mailing list