REFLECTOR: Crankcase Breather

Bruce Topp bdtopp at comcast.net
Wed Dec 12 17:10:44 CST 2007


I was thinking about ideas for the crankcase breather that would not get oil
on the cowl and would not freeze over but did not use a air-oil separator
(not a fan of those things).  I have seen airplanes that had a tube welded
to the exhaust and the breather hose hooked up to that.  The breather exits
inside the exhaust pipe.  The Piper Malibu I believe does this.

 

I was thinking about drilling a hole in the exhaust approximately 2 inches
up the exhaust from the inside of the cowl. 1/2 inch hole to match the
breather tube I currently have exiting the bottom the of aircraft. Then weld
a stainless tube to this hole and connect the breather tube to it.  I
attached a crude picture of what I am attempting to explain.

 

Can anybody think of an idea of why this might not be a good idea?  It seems
like the perfect solution to keep oil off the cowl and would never freeze. 

 

Bruce Topp

XL-FG

 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20071212/481e4111/attachment-0001.htm 
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Breather Tube.JPG
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 9683 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20071212/481e4111/attachment-0001.jpeg 


More information about the Reflector mailing list