REFLECTOR: canard question

Grigore Rosu grigore.rosu at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 12:54:12 CST 2007


Thank you Al and Tony for your answers!

Like mentioned in the manual and on your webpage, I also had a small gap
between the canard tab and the bulkhead on one of the two sides (left one in
my case).  I inserted a couple of temporary washers there just to allign the
bushing with the bulkhead on the other side (interior of the airplane), so
that the large washer makes contact with the bushing.  However, now there is
another problem now: the bolt appears to be too small.  Examining the length
of the bolts that attach the canard to the bulkhead (AN6-16A), it appears to
be as long as the bushing + the two washers + canard tab width + nut; there
is no room left for a possible gap between the canard tab and the bulkhead.

Had anybody else had the same problem?  The simplest solution I see is to
get a larger bolt ... Any thoughts on that?  Is that acceptable?

Note that in my case, the canard reinforcements were done at the factory,
during the head start program.  Thus, my bulkhead is quite thick; in fact,
as thick as the bushing.  Another possibility would be to sand a bit the
triax reinforcement on the interior part of the bulkhead (where the large
washer touches the bulkhead), so that the washer sinks into the triax layers
on the bulkhead; then I can put 1-2 layers of bid or triax over the washer
to compensate for the sanded triax.  Would this make any sense?
Thank you,
Grigore
On Dec 9, 2007 7:50 AM, Grigore Rosu <grigore.rosu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you, Al.  Your approach to first make a saddle for the canard seems
> very interesting and smooth, so I'll also follow it.  I'll get back to you
> once I'm done.
>
> Thank you,
> Grigore
>
>   On Dec 8, 2007 5:48 PM, Al Gietzen <ALVentures at cox.net> wrote:
>
> >    Gregore;
> >
> >
> >
> > I'd suggest placing the incidence gauge (presumably a.k.a. canard
> > rigging board) about mid span on either side of the fuselage, and get the
> > average of the two readings to be centered.  Perfection is not a requirement
> > as there is likely to be more variation from one canard to another than the
> > differences you're seeing on your gauge.
> >
> >
> >
> > You may like to read the slightly different procedure that I used to fit
> > things up at http://members.cox.net/alg3/canmt.htm.
> >
> >
> >
> > Best of luck,
> >
> >
> >
> > Al
> >
> >
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > *From:* reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] *On
> > Behalf Of *Grigore Rosu
> > *Sent:* Saturday, December 08, 2007 1:17 PM
> > *To:* reflector at tvbf.org
> > *Subject: *REFLECTOR: canard question
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > I'm just about to install the bushings for the canard lifts, but I had a
> > hard time to level the canard perfectly.
> >
> >
> >
> > It is level both left-right and with respect to the distance to the
> > spar, but it is stubborn to get perfectly level with respect to the
> > "incidence block".  BTW, my kit came with a part called "canard rigging
> > board", while the manual mentions using an "incidence block" to level the
> > canard; are these the same thing??
> >
> >
> >
> > So my problem is the following: no matter how much and where I shim it,
> > some parts of the canard will be level wrt the indicence block, while others
> > will be slightly off; the differences are not big (for example, the air ball
> > is still in between the black lines), but I'd like it to be perfect.
> >
> >
> >
> > I bought a fast built kit, so the canard came already made.  Analyzing
> > it carefully, it appears that it is not perfect, it is slightly bent is some
> > places.
> >
> >
> >
> > Is this something I should worry about right now, or it can
> > be finely-tuned later?  Where is it more important to be perfectly level,
> > next to the fuselage/lifts, or towards its endings?
> >
> >
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Grigore
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
> > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery!   www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20071209/e476cf80/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list