REFLECTOR: alternative engines

NMFlyer1 at aol.com NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Thu Dec 6 09:41:13 CST 2007


In response to Gary's, Al's and Scott's posts. 
 
Great insight and opinions here, and I believe anyone considering an  
alternative engine should read them many times. 
 
Gary is right on many issues IF you are talking about  using an engine that 
was designed to be in an auto (either used, crate engine,  etc). Many people 
(myself included) are designing their own alternative engine  installs with the 
aircraft in mind, not retrofitting. 
 
 I built my engine specifically for this aircraft. I picked the power  band, 
loads and RPMs I wanted and redundancy I thought was the safest  compromise.  
Then I built it with the strongest and best parts I could find  that suited 
the task.  An example is that you do not want to  design a drag motor (with it's 
seasonal teardowns and replacements) for use in  your aircraft. You want to 
design it around parts that can hold up to the  specified task you assign it 
over time. 
 
Scott's input is right on the money. First, you definitely do not go with  an 
alternate engine to save money or time. My engine, while much more expensive  
than the IO-360 that was supposed to be in my 173, also has 325HP. Compared 
to  getting that kind of power out of an aircraft engine, it is reasonable, but 
 definitely not cheap. 
  This install has, however,  tripled my build time. I remember  sitting in 
TKI with Brian, Milt, Kevin and others thinking that I could probably  build 
this aircraft in about 2-2.5 years. And, if I would have followed the  plans 
that would be about right (no fast build options).  Once I decided  that I needed 
more power at the high density altitudes I fly from, things  changed 
dramatically. 
 
Not only do you have to design items that you could have simply  purchased, 
but then you have to build them or have them built. That can take  forever. My 
Dad (an engineer from Sandia Labs) designed the motor mount system  for me, 
but it took almost 4 months to find a place that could do the welding  and 
jigging of it. This is where I learned that you DO NOT tell people what your  part 
is for. They think AIRPLANE and run like crazy. 
I know my limitations as a welder, and this is one item I was not willing  to 
tackle myself. Exhausts, Radiators, redrives, all just add to the time. 
 
The system concerns that Scott mentions are quite valid. Engines, in and of  
themselves, are pretty simple. Getting all the supporting systems designed,  
built, and tested are quite another thing. 
  I designed my engine so that I would not have any central processor  
running the engine. I just don't trust them. That has it's good and bad points,  but 
either route you take will have it's own batch of complexities and concerns. 
 
 Another thing is that Alternative engines in general (unless you take  a 
risk with Crossflow or the like) are all unique. If you are that kind of  person, 
like me, that is great. But realize that you will not be able to get  much 
help. You will have to research, design, build, test all yourself using the  
best information you can find. 
You will most likely not get much intuitive help from fellow builders  
either, since "that hasn't been done like that before" 
  To hedge against all that, I plan on "driving" my V  around the airpark for 
quite some time to check systems, performance, safety,  etc. I believe that a 
40 hour test period on my airplane probably is not enough.  I just want to be 
sure and safe. I suppose this follows along the rule that my  glider 
instructor gave me some time ago. "You have the right to kill yourself.  You DO NOT, 
However, have the right to kill your passengers or ruin other  people's stuff". 
 
 
So, for all of us that have that "Calling" to use alternate engines. Be  
careful, be smart, and good luck. It is definitely an interesting journey. 
 
Kurt Winker
173FGE
325HP 4.3L Aluminum V6. 



**************************************Check out AOL's list of 2007's hottest 
products.
(http://money.aol.com/special/hot-products-2007?NCID=aoltop00030000000001)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20071206/c878153e/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list