REFLECTOR: Subaru run video
len.baxter at gm.com
len.baxter at gm.com
Tue Dec 4 13:41:01 CST 2007
Ron.... thanks for the caution !!! Is anyone flying a Crossflow
sucessfully??
Len Baxter
XLRG-5
"Ron Brown" <romott at roadrunner.com>
Sent by: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org
12/04/2007 02:22 PM
Please respond to
Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
To
"Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
cc
Subject
Re: REFLECTOR: Subaru run video
I had written the following to Alex but since Matt and Len have mentioned
the Crossflow engines, let me share what I know about Crossflow and to
caution folks to be VERY CAREFUL before you spend any money. There is
another Velocity builder out there that ordered and paid for an engine and
had not received it as of a year or so ago. I hadn't planned on sharing
the note to Alex with the Reflector crowd, but since at least two of you
are considering the engine - I didn't want to see anyone else taken to the
cleaners (Dick paid as much for his FWF Crossflow, 4 cylinder turbo engine
as I did my Don George Lycasarus IO360.) I have 360 hours of reliable
flying - Dick is still trying to get his airplane back home.
Alex,
I wanted to update you on my friend, Dick Healy and his 4 cylinder, turbo
charged Crossflow Subaru mounted on his Lancair 320 in 2004.
He has spent much of the summer in Canada after trailering his airplane to
Crossflow to get the engine running right. (He got his engine after many
delays in 2004). They are on the third engine now (at least one engine
was fried from running too lean), added an intercooler due to high
combustion air temps. The third engine has flown once and with winter
setting in, it may be next year before they can confirm the flyability of
the current setup.
Just wanted you to know that Jorge may not know all he needs to know about
the ECU and engine operations. On one of his trips down to NC to tune the
ECU, he told Dick he did not think it was advisable to provide a cool air
source to the turbo inlet. You and I both know, the cooler the air, the
better the engine performance will be (well short of carb icing - but
these engines ARE fuel injected). I couldn't believe Jorge had advised
against the cool air scoop. Now, he understands that not only does it
need a cool air source, it also needs to have an intercooler to keep
combustion air down to a reasonable temperature.
Good luck with your engine - I feel better about what you are doing versus
buying a firewall forward (rearward) from Crossflow. They make a pretty
engine, but I question his engine knowledge. Last I heard, he has sold 60
engines. None are in reliable flying conditions yet! Dick says there is
one other flying engine at Crossflow, but it hasn't left the area yet.
Reflector Gang: I love auto engines as much as anyone. I have been a hot
rodder for years, built several engines including a Chevy small block in a
53 Studebaker coupe. But, if you want reliable power for your Velocity,
an engine that will keep you flying for a long time on a single rebuild,
and can actually get pretty good fuel burns with a matched set of injector
nozzles and good EGT/CHT monitoring (I get 8 GPH at 2600 rpm and 155 knots
in my 173 Elite RG. In a standard wing, you can add at least 15 knots to
the cruise speed. Oh and I hung my engine and installed all of the FW
backwards in a little over a month. Everything works as installed
originally. It starts easily, runs cool, and is very dependable.
Ronnie Brown
----- Original Message -----
From: len.baxter at gm.com
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 12:40 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Subaru run video
Go for it Matt !!.....there are a lot of us who have ( or will have )
abandoned the 70+ yr old technology represented by Cont and Lyc. I am
leaning towards a GM LS2, or a 3 rotor rotary, or the crossflow turbo.....
hard to choose.
Len Baxter
XLRG-5
"Matt Bucko" <mbuc310 at cox.net>
Sent by: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org
12/04/2007 12:27 PM
Please respond to
Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
To
"Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
cc
Subject
Re: REFLECTOR: Subaru run video
Thank you. Most impressed here. I have been toying with selling my IO540
and going with something else. Deltahawk still has to deliver... I have
seen the Crossflow site before. Nice build.
Matt
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Alex Balic
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 9:27 AM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Subaru run video
Hi Matt-
I got a used engine with 48k miles on it- nice thing about SVX owners is
that they take really good care of their cars- when I opened it up, oil
was like new, still had the burnish marks on the cylinder sleeves. I
ported and polished the heads, replaced the stock high compression pistons
with low compression ones for use with the turbocharger- removed the stock
intake manifold, welded up a lower profile, and much lighter one,
re-ground the cams slightly, and built the exhaust up one bend at a time
to ensure that it would fit in the velocity cowling. Also had to re-locate
the alternator for the same reason. I must add that I got a lot of help
from Jorge Alonzo up at Crossflow Aero in Canada- he made the engine mount
-which is a work of art- and I am using his ECU setup / wiring harness as
well as their PSRU. Intercooler is from a T-210 that I found on EBay for
$43 including the pressure relief valve, which I have had reset to 5psi,
and I have a Teil external waste gate to control the turbo. Turbo was
built by Majestic Turbochargers here in Dallas . Overall, it has been a
long road to get to this point- I suppose could have purchased a firewall
back setup from Crosslfow but wouldn?t have learned nearly as much, and
they are pretty proud of their 300+ hp units up there-
Engine runs ridiculously smooth though- I think I am getting more
vibration from the fuel pumps?..
PS- other nice thing- I can get an factory new assembled short block from
Subaru for $3600- might just do that at overhaul time???
Alex
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Matt Bucko
Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 8:54 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Subaru run video
Who built it?
Matt
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Alex Balic
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2007 4:48 PM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Subaru run video
Estimated at 325hp at 4 lbs of boost- I can set the boost up to 16 psi and
get maybe 500 hp- but I don?t want to put that much stress on the engine-
I am more interested at getting somewhere near 200 hp at 20k feet- and get
some good top end like factory turbo model. There is a guy who is
getting about 1600 dyno wheel hp for drag racing in Australia out of a
more highly modified turbocharged SVX- but I would guess that that engine
won?t last too long at cruise power settings? J
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Matt Bucko
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2007 11:22 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Subaru run video
Is that the 300 HP motor?
Matt
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of Alex Balic
Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2007 7:24 PM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: REFLECTOR: Subaru run video
Got a video up on youtube if anyone is interested- second run on my SVX
motor- Milt Merskey on the camera with commentary- have an intermittent
ignition coil on #5- it comes alive at 1:48 and you can tell the
difference- smoke at the end is from newly installed exhaust wrap ect??..
still have a ton of wiring to do, but this kind of stuff keeps you
going?..
Alex
http://youtube.com/watch?v=IsbPcWBX2RU
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20071204/d267dc8b/attachment-0001.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list