REFLECTOR: Intercooler pictures
Brian Michalk
michalk at awpi.com
Thu Aug 30 20:13:54 CDT 2007
The fairing is not installed on the pics I sent.
From the side view, go to a position about six inches fore of the
firewall, and about 1.5 inches below the fuselage. Now, from that
point, make a straight line to the edge of the intercooler, and continue
it to the IC exhaust. That's about where the fairing will be. Of
course any hard angles will be smoothed out.
The intakes and exhaust caps on the intercooler need to be tapered. If
they are not tapered, then the IC has most of the air going through one
end. The fairing I described provides that taper. I am also relying on
a good deal of vacuum at the exhaust end.
After saying all that, I'm going to fly with and without the "scoop" to
the intercooler. I have a hunch that I'll be just fine without the scoop.
gpoole wrote:
> Thanks for sharing the pix of your cooling arrangement Brian... if you'll
> pardon me for posing some dumb observer questions....cause I just don't get
> it!
>
> For a moment I thought you had scoops pointing forward...but now I realise
> they are more likely outlets facing aft (as outlets obviously should!) - but
> if that is the case just how does air go thru your radiator? I thought
> smooth transitions in change of direction were the order of the day and that
> from a small scoop opening, one made a large area to slow the air down and
> build pressure, so for your design how does relative airflow do a 900 to go
> up and then 900 again to exit? I have always considered the P51 arrangement
> as a proven design and it canted that aircrafts' radiator to align it with
> the flow of air down its' duct.
>
> Your cooling radiator looks way bigger than any I've examined and I would
> have thought it's positioning would necessitate a much larger and
> subsequently a much draggier scoop to accommodate it and the space air will
> need to flow?
>
> Best as always...
>
> Greg
>
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Brian Michalk
> Sent: Friday, 31 August 2007 7:07 AM
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Intercooler pictures
>
> Yes, they are too big for the horsepower. Also referencing Corky Bell.
> However, if I recall correctly, these were the smallest I could find for
> motorcycle ... I seem to recall RGM racing, or RJM racing. I would have
> done better to go with a single intercooler, but it was a much simpler
> install to go with the split IC.
>
> Scott Derrick wrote:
>> Brain,
>>
>> Interesting design. So the cooling air makes an "S" turn as it goes
>> through the intercooler?
>>
>> How did you calculate the intercooler size? My intercooler doesn't look
>> anywhere
>> near that big, I used Bell's formula from his book "Maximmum Boost".
>> His company made my intercooler and I had one of their engineers verify
>> my size requirements for 325 HP. The intercooler that came with my
>> engine was about %15 larger than the new I had built but the cooling
>> air through that one also had to make an "S" turn like yours to get
>> through. Both were made by Bell.
>>
>> Hopefully I haven't undersized it. I have a temp probe right after the
>> intercooler to monitor the boosted air temperature.
>>
>> Scott
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: michalk.vcf
Type: text/x-vcard
Size: 210 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070830/61da3aa5/attachment.vcf
More information about the Reflector
mailing list