REFLECTOR: Incident/Accident

Tom Martino tmartino at troubleshooter.com
Fri Aug 17 16:46:18 CDT 2007


Greg,

It is looking like the prop went to full pitch which caused a drastic
reduction of power.  When I could not keep altitude ... I shut down the
engine for the landing.

I thought when a governor fails ... The prop goes to full RPM ... That is a
mystery.

I do not have a choice but to sell ... It is causing too much grief with my
loved ones who do not fully grasp the adventure of experimental aviation.

BTW ... Someone will get a hell of a plane, parts, engine and/or avionics in
this deal.  

I need to make it go away.

Tom





On 8/17/07 2:59 PM, "gpoole" <gpoole at zeta.org.au> wrote:

> Sorry to hear of your situation/dilemma. Guess it depends on how much somebody
> wants your killer paint job Tom. Unless you find the buyer with the ³must
> have² attitude, it¹s often a sad reality that the parts can be worth more on
> part out than the aircraftŠ.
>  
> Sounds like you are resigned to selling itŠ.a very sad situation as the
> aircraft shouldn¹t be blamed for an engine stop (Šobviously a risk with
> certified ones tooŠ)Š..but with your promo skillsŠ..
>  
> If the damage is relatively minor why not fix it first, then make up your
> mind? (Štoo tempting?)
>  
> 
> Greg in Sydney 
> greg at pooledresources.com.au
> 
> 
>  
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf
> Of Tom Martino
> Sent: Saturday, 18 August 2007 3:53 AM
> To: Velocity List
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Incident/Accident
>  
> I have no idea what happened.  It just suddenly lost power on takeoff.  Not
> high enough to turn around.  Put it down in a field with gear up. The only
> damage is to the lower winglets and prop (but luckily the engine was
> stopped.
> 
> I am very discouraged.  I had put every upgrade you could buy into the
> plane.  I recently rebuilt the entire landing gear system ... Including
> hydraulic pump, nose mechanism and main gear.  Including all new cylinders,
> and upgraded main gear pivot bolts.
> 
> I have a glass panel and a killer paint job ... Well over $200,000 invested.
> 
> Now my wife has demanded I either part it out or sell it for salvage.
> Really ... No BS.  We have a new Cirrus, an Ercoupe, a Champ and will soon
> have a Pilatus.  But she insists that I get rid of the Velocity.
> 
> The engine is an IO-540 (300 hp).  I have a BMA EFIS One with AP, a Dynon
> D-10 backup, a CNX-80 w/hidden transponder, backup digital instruments,
> beautiful seats and lots of extras.
> 
> I need advice:  Should I part it out or sell it "as is"?
> 
> I am not looking for a lot of money.  Any reasonable offer would be
> considered.   I know that someone could have a flying Velocity for very
> little money. 
> 
> Please pass this information along.  I have a complete list of parts and I
> will soon have a diagnosis on the engine (which I am sure is something
> stupid -- I suspect the dual electronic ignition).
> 
> Tom Martino
> 
> 
> 
> 
> On 8/17/07 10:38 AM, "steve korney" <s_korney at hotmail.com> wrote:
> 
>> >
>> >
>> > What happened...?
>> >
>> > IDENTIFICATION
>> >   Regis#: 173EX       Make/Model: EXP       Description: VELOCITY 173 ELITE
>> >   Date: 08/16/2007     Time: 0114
>> >
>> >   Event Type: Incident   Highest Injury: None     Mid Air: N    Missing: N
>> >   Damage: Minor
>> >
>> > LOCATION
>> >   City: WATKINS   State: CO   Country: US
>> >
>> > DESCRIPTION
>> >   AIRCRAFT ON DEPARTURE, ENGINE FAILED AND FORCE LANDED EAST OF THE RUNWAY,
>> >   WATKINS, CO
>> >
>> > INJURY DATA      Total Fatal:   0
>> >                 # Crew:   1     Fat:  0     Ser:   0     Min:  0     Unk:
>> >                 # Pass:   0     Fat:  0     Ser:   0    Min:   0     Unk:
>> >                 # Grnd:         Fat:  0     Ser:   0     Min:  0     Unk:
>> >
>> > WEATHER: VFR
>> >
>> > OTHER DATA
>> >   Activity: Unknown      Phase: Take-off      Operation: OTHER
>> >
>> >
>> >   FAA FSDO: DENVER, CO (NM03)                   Entry date: 08/17/2007
>> >
>> > ---------------------
>> >
>> > N-number                      : N173EX
>> > Aircraft Serial Number         : DMO-282
>> > Aircraft Manufacturer          : MARTINO THOMAS G
>> >         Model                : VELCITY 173 ELITE RG
>> > Engine   Manufacturer         : LYCOMING
>> >         Model                : IO-540 SER
>> > Aircraft Year                 : 2004
>> > Owner Name                    : MARTINO THOMAS G
>> > Owner Address                 : 7900 FOX CREEK TRL
>> >                                 FRANKTOWN, CO, 80116-9667
>> > Type of Owner                 : Individual
>> > Registration Date             : 18-Nov-2004
>> > Airworthiness Certificate Type : Experimental
>> > Approved Operations            : Amateur Built
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > Best... Steve
>> >
>> > _________________________________________________________________
>> > More photos, more messages, more storage‹get 2GB with Windows Live Hotmail.
>> > 
>> http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration
>> _ 
>> <http://imagine-windowslive.com/hotmail/?locale=en-us&amp;ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migr
>> ation_> 
>> > HM_mini_2G_0507
>> >
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > To change your email address, visit
>> > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>> >
>> > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 
> 
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
> Version: 7.5.484 / Virus Database: 269.12.0/957 - Release Date: 16/08/2007
> 1:46 PM
>  
> 
>   
> 
> 
> No virus found in this outgoing message.
> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
> Version: 7.5.484 / Virus Database: 269.12.0/957 - Release Date: 16/08/2007
> 1:46 PM
>  
> 
>   
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070817/a457a45a/attachment.htm 
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 2690 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070817/a457a45a/attachment.jpeg 


More information about the Reflector mailing list