REFLECTOR: FW: Wing root fairings

lawrence epstein ljepstein at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 13 21:33:50 CDT 2007


I just looked it up and it was Flying Magazine (Peter Garrision's 
"Technicalities") July 2007, P 73-74 and it clearly shows a Low Pressure 
area at the intersection of the fuselage and the undersurface of the wing 
which he explains as the summation of the flow acceleration of 2 
perpendicular surfaces. there is no representation of the similar 
interaction on the top, because it is a high wing (Cessna).  the drag is 
caused by the accelerated flow separating downstream.

Larry

Considering that as of now the only movement my plane has is when I push it, 
even a 1 knot gain is dramatic!!  (I guess I'd better shut up and get back 
to sanding)


>
>I think you mean high pressure area at the intersections of the wing with a
>vertical surface.
>(I tried to find the article, but couldn't. So I may be mistaken.) What I
>remember is the
>high pressure area above and below the wing at the wing root causing
>significant drag.
>
>Either way, I think what the optimum would be, is shown in an SR-71.
>Although the
>Velocity's are a tiny bit slower, the SR-71 eliminated all vertical
>intersections with the wing
>root and fuselage. It would be interesting to do some drag analysis to see
>how much improvement
>one would get by smoothing the transition.
>
>Jack Prock
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit 
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html




More information about the Reflector mailing list