REFLECTOR: Remote compass location
Andrew Ellzey
ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 6 08:14:52 CDT 2007
Those mounting their Magnetometer in their outboard
strakes, how far forward from the wing mounting bolts
did you place your magnetometer? Did you keep the
wiring from your strobes and nav lighting separated or
run them together without any interference?
Andy Ellzey
XLRG
--- Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net> wrote:
> I moved a compass around the area right above the
> canard in the dog
> house and it was awful with magnetic disturbance!
> 20 degrees off in
> places, some north some south. The biggest
> influence seemed to come
> from the RG power pack. A bit from the rudder pedal
> mechanism.
>
> I ran the wires for the remote compass to the end of
> the right strake,
> it was very quite, magnetically speaking that is!
>
> Scott
>
> Al Gietzen wrote:
> > Scott;
> >
> > I put the magnetometer for the GRT EFIS out in the
> end of the strake. That
> > has worked very well. I also have a digital
> compass I the panel; and the
> > magnetometer for that is in the nose about 6 - 8"
> forward of the canard
> > bulkhead, on the bottom just to the left side of
> the nose gear door. That
> > also is working just fine; but I don't have an oil
> cooler up there so there
> > is nothing in the way.
> >
> > Al
> >
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org
> [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> > Behalf Of Scott Derrick
> > Sent: Saturday, August 04, 2007 5:37 AM
> > To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> > Subject: REFLECTOR: Remote compass location
> >
> > I need to locate my remote compass. Supposed to
> be clear of big iron
> > and large currents.
> >
> > I would really like to mount it on the canard, but
> am concerned with its
> > closeness to the stack and rudder peddle
> mechanism. Anybody have one
> > mounted there with no problems?
> >
> > I also though of the small cavity at the outboard
> end of the strake
> > where the outboard wing attach bolts are, though
> the wires for the
> > strobes run right through there.
> >
> > Scott
> >
> >
>
> --
>
> -
> Those willing to give up a little liberty for a
> little security deserve neither security nor
> liberty.
>
> Benjamin Franklin
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list