REFLECTOR: seal bulkheads before baffles?

bdtopp at comcast.net bdtopp at comcast.net
Thu Aug 2 12:11:51 CDT 2007


TEC,
  After you explanation, I see the difference here.  In my particular case, the baffles and bulkheads are not really two different things in that I sealed the mouse hole cutouts and made sure the tops of the baffles sealed when the strake was closed out.  I don't recall what the manual calls out for.  I just went ahead and did it versus sealing under the baffle.
   In hind sight, I can see where it would be a little easier to seal under the baffles and not worry about sealing mouse holes and making sure every upper strake to baffle is sealed.  Sounds like either way will work.  

-------------- Original message -------------- 
From: HYTEC45 at aol.com 

In a message dated 8/2/2007 7:05:02 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, bdtopp at comcast.net writes:
TEC,
   I don't believe anybody is sealing the portion of the strake that is directly under a bulkhead or baffle.  I know I didn't.  In theory, fuel should never see that area if you have a really good coat of Jeffco on everything including a nice bead on the top of the baffles and bulkheads when closing out the strake.

Bruce

Bruce,

I also did not pre-seal below the baffles prior to installation, and have not had any leaks in 11 years.  However, I have always worried about it, and wish I did.  A bulkhead and a baffle are two different things (unless things have changes in the plans).  A bulkhead's core will never see fuel as it is stopped by it's inner skin, where a baffle's inner foam core will see fuel(unless things have changed and all edges including the mouse holes are tapped and sealed), and can migrate through it to the surface, approximately 9/16" wide, area of the inner strake skin the baffle is sitting on.  While the perimeter and face of a bulkhead can be sealed as it's exposed, the area of the strake skin the baffle is sitting on cannot.  I worried after I closed my strakes about this, and just lucked out that there were no pin holes in the factories lay ups.  I like the pre-seal with peal ply before installing the baffles.  Wish I did.  If you have put fuel in with no leaks, we both should go to V
egas.
TEC






Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL.com.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070802/05a37685/attachment.htm 
-------------- next part --------------
An embedded message was scrubbed...
From: HYTEC45 at aol.com
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: seal bulkheads before baffles?
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 16:42:26 +0000
Size: 800
Url: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070802/05a37685/attachment.eml 


More information about the Reflector mailing list