REFLECTOR: seal bulkheads before baffles?

Keith Hallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Wed Aug 1 20:36:22 CDT 2007


Doug,

 

I put the bulkheads in and made nice smooth radii at the contact points with
each other and the strake skins, applied a couple of bid tapes (just a bit
wetter than typical for structural joint) and applied peel ply to be sure
the surface was "closed".   Then I did the same thing with all of the
baffles.  That makes a good base on which to apply the Jeffco 9700 tank
coating.  

 

I made nice smooth radii at the top of each bulkhead and baffle by laying up
bid on a couple of layers of duct tape on the bottom of the strake top, then
squeezing it onto some epoxy/flox goop on top the edges of the bulkheads and
baffles; once that set, the top was pried back off and fillets and bid tapes
were added between the tops of the bulkheads and baffles and the bottom of
the new flange.  The result was a large, consistently thin joint between the
new flange and the bottom of the top stake skin.  

 

After all of the flange work was completed, I applied 2 coats of the Jeffco
9700 over all of the tank surfaces.  The second coat included the bottom of
the strake top and the top of the flanges, so the tank was actually closed
out with the Jeffco, not structural epoxy.  Since the sealing area was so
large and consistent, I am absolutely certain that the joint has more
strength than I could possibly need.

 

I'm not flying yet, but the strakes hold light air pressure indefinitely, so
I'm pretty sure there are no leaks.

 

Keith Hallsten

 

 

  _____  

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Douglas Holub
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 4:37 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR: seal bulkheads before baffles?

 

I've just glassed in a baffle in each strake and the epoxy is starting to
cure, so I would appreciate a quick answer if somebody knows this. My manual
(and also the online manual) says:

 

"The bulkheads are installed first and properly sealed before the baffles
are installed."

 

I glassed in the fuel bulkheads a couple of days ago. Am I supposed to coat
the fuel tank with Jeffco before I glass in the baffles?

 

Doug Holub

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070801/dea5e66d/attachment-0001.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list