REFLECTOR: Blue Mountain EIFS

Hiroo Umeno humeno at microsoft.com
Tue Apr 24 15:45:11 CDT 2007


Just to give you another perspective on another EFIS...

I have a Chelton unit I purchased from (then) Sierra Flight Systems back in 2000.  I did not get flying until last year.  In the meantime, the company got bought by Chelton and they started offering higher end system for both certificated and experimental market based on completely different hardware platforms.

Before I flew my plane, I contacted them thinking I would get a software upgrade to bring it up to whatever the last version they had for my old unit.  The factory had me send the head-end back and did a hardware upgrade for $500 so that they can load their latest software.  During this time, they added WX, TCAS, Strike Finder and other interfaces without requiring re-purchasing of the MFD.

Their latest software runs on the 7 years old PFD.  The price you pay is that their "picture" is not as pretty as the BM's latest with nice shaded 3D model.  Chelton does give you the 3D synthetic vision but not the shaded model you see on the BM's brochure.

I am fine with this trade-off.  I don't see the EFIS so much as "computer" that needs to be updated all the time but an instrument that has 10+year useful life.

I am not saying Chelton is better.  They certainly have made some questionable design choices (like picking Smartmedia card as their storage interface).  I am just relaying my experience the one I got on my panel.

Hiroo

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of John Tvedte
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 1:08 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Blue Mountain EIFS

Ok - I know - Windows 98 is NOT something that we typically install in
our velocities....

According to the wiki... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_98

Windows 98 was released in May 1999.  EOS was July 11, 2006 (orig.
planned Jan 16, 2004)

I don't think Microsoft ever said Vista would run on a 5 year old
PC....wheras.....

I think BMA may have said something that- WSI, WX500, etc. would....
but this has nothing to do with their trade-in policy. Companies do not
have to have a trade-in policy to 'do the right thing'.

I do agree with the ' Do not buy any Avionics until the..'  I also know
first hand if someone is building their own panel and doing wiring,
there is a point when the eq. needs to be purchased - and it will still
take time to wire, etc. I have been very fortunate in that my system is
not obsolete.

As can be seen, having a trade-in/upgrade policy can provide a marketing
advantage - take Chelton as an example, they offered CPU upgrades (with
memory upgrades) for $400/screen - required (highly suggested anyway) if
WSI weather was something of interest.  The system was sold that WSI
would work, but the software and update speed requires (again highly
suggested anyway) a CPU upgrade.   The upgrade was not offered for free.

GRT has their new HX system - I think $2,000 upgrade for Horizon I users
+ $200 labor if already flying - new graphics CPU, processor, higher res
screen, etc.  Not free.   Both seem to be good value in my opinion.

Feel free to hit the delete button

John
Do not archive.

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Lawrence Epstein,MD
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 2:24 PM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Blue Mountain EIFS

Actually, Microsoft Stopped supporting Windows 98 1 or 2 years ago and
that is software not hardware. Try installing Vista on a 5 year old
PC-not happening.

I understand your concerns with BMA and I was speaking more (in general)
about what I(we) should believe and look for in avionics.


Larry E.



_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list