REFLECTOR: Blue Mountain EIFS
Lawrence Epstein,MD
ljepstein at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 24 12:34:25 CDT 2007
These discussions have reinforced what I consider to be a basic tenet of
building an aircraft-
Do not buy any Avionics until the very last minute, especially if it is
an "electronic" or microprocessor controlled device.
I think that it must be remembered that computer processor speed doubles
approximately every 18 months (since it's invention). It is unreasonable
to expect any "computer" to be upgradeable to current standards for more
than a couple of years as new software is written to take advantage of
newer/faster processors. Assuming that the manufacturer maintains the
platform for a couple of years beyond the relative obsolescence of the
processor (in order to mature the device) you may have an upgradeable
lifespan of 5 years from inception. That having been said, I think a
consumer (particularly in Aviation) should be able to expect that the
manufacturer will stockpile enough replacement parts for at least 10
years after the last 1 is sold. Promises of upgradeability need to be
considered with the above in mind. Along with the viability of the
company for support (I doubt any of these products will have any
support/repair options if the manufacturer dies.
Puts a whole new light on my panel plan! (I am considering the BMA).
Larry Epstein
Just my 20c
More information about the Reflector
mailing list