REFLECTOR: Blue Mountain EIFS

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 23 10:52:50 CDT 2007


Tom,

I also have an EFIS-One gold box not yet installed and was also told that 
they (BM) was working on the range scaling for the map graphics. I also was 
under the misconception that the G3 units would be supported for many years 
(software and hardware)or I wouldn't have purchased it.

Andy Ellzey


----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Alex" <alex157 at pwhome.com>
To: "'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2007 10:25 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Blue Mountain EIFS


> Hi Tom-
> I will attempt to collect as many folks as we can for this-  I believe the
> basis for this is that we were definitely misled- I have the old sales
> brochure and it says there, and I quote:
>
> "It Just Gets Better
> As new software is developed it will be available for your EIFS one as 
> part
> of our subscription service. The EIFS One is the only instrument in your
> panel that just keeps getting better"
>
> Add to that the rest of the pamphlet that clearly shows the Gold Box
> connecting to WX 500 and WSI weather, which it never has and apparently
> never will do, and I think that we definitely have false advertising here-
> I have not even installed my unit- only made the cut out in the panel- so
> they really should not have a problem taking mine back - although they 
> said
> they could "possibly give me some trade in credit" towards a G4- I didn't
> even ask for the details,  I know it didn't mean that they would not
> directly trade it out-
> I am not saying that it has no value, I am not saying that it will not "do
> everything it did when I bought it"
> Just that the reason I chose to buy it over the other available units was
> that it would be regularly upgraded with new features as they came along.
> BM's Larry tried to play lawyer with his "did we specifically tell you 
> that
> you could zoom the maps" so if they want to play that game, I am more than
> willing to participate. I spoke with Dave Bertram, he said that they told
> him that it would take XM weather in the future. I asked them about that
> specifically, they said "can't be done" so that is a direct lie to him as
> well. I will contact you off the reflector for more details about this-
> definitely prepared to chip in to get this situation corrected.........
>
> Alex
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Tom Martino
> Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2007 11:14 PM
> To: Velocity List
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Blue Mountain EIFS
>
> Alex,
>
> It pissed me off when I found out the "Gold Box" is limited.  However, 
> even
> with its limits it does a great job.  BUT ... I still feel abandoned.
>
> Greg is very casual about the fact that the board manufacturer is "out of
> business".
>
> II realize this happens with a  lot of technology (early adopters are 
> often
> screwed).
>
> HOWEVER ... What makes this case DIFFERENT is that BMA mislead us into
> believing our "gold boxes" would be upgradeable with software.
>
> So, here is my proposal ... get me names and contact information of early
> adopters who feel they were mislead and I will pursue a class action law
> suit for the sole purpose of getting us newer units.  We may have to chip 
> in
> a few bucks for expenses ... but I will not charge any legal fees.
>
> I was going to this before ... but I did not want to do it for just 
> myself.
>
> My email:  tmartino at troubleshooter.com  (I am used to fights like this ...
> TRUST ME).
>
> Tom Martino
>
>
>
> On 4/22/07 8:46 PM, "Alex" <alex157 at pwhome.com> wrote:
>
>> Well- no effect for those who have not received theirs yet/ or have
>> the G4
>> unit- so all is well for you guys- my main problem was that the big
>> sell ( and I want everyone to tell me if I am wrong about this) is
>> that their unit would be software upgradeable to keep it fairly
>> current- the only upgrades I have heard anyone getting from Blue
>> Mountain have been related to map currency or problem fixes. - they
>> claimed when I ordered and paid for mine that it would eventually
>> display WX-500 data, and current weather,  and in the future, and that
>> they were working out how to display traffic. I received mine in Feb
>> of 2006- not too long ago- it is the older style with the separate
>> gold box- new units have everything built into the display
>> unit- I was watching Greg do his schpeal and noticed that the new
>> units have a USB port on the front- so I just asked how exactly I get
>> my updates via the internet so get current with the software- he
>> determined that I have a
>> G2 unit (not sure what happened to G3) and that the technology in that
>> box is 10 years old, and NOT Upgradeable, in fact, I found out that
>> the manufacturer of the board is no longer in business, so I am not
>> sure how long they will be able to support it if there is a physical
>> problem. I did find out that I can get a basic terrain view, but it is
>> on only a single pre-set scale- I was a bit shocked about this since I
>> have flown with a $200 PDA that had fully scaleable mapping, in fact
>> it would auto-zoom when you reached your destination so you can see
>> where you are in the airport environment. Greg just said repeatedly "
>> it does exactly what it did when you bought it" and it isn't his fault
>> that the features like WX-500 display (dropped apparently due to lack
>> of interest) and weather depiction are never going to be available on a
> "gold box" unit, nor is map scaling.
>> The second day, I went to visit with them after sleeping on this, and
>> spoke with Larry and Sheila about this situation, since Greg was not
>> there when I
>> arrived- they got pretty agitated with me even asking about this
>> subject and gave me a "too bad for you" kind of response- even asked
>> me if I had asked anyone at blue mountain specifically if the maps
>> zoomed  before I bought it and thereby if they had lied about that- my
>> response was that I did not ask because it is such a basic function of
>> having a moving map that I would not even think to ask- kind of like
>> asking of the radio in your new Mercedes receives FM signals- not to
>> mention that EVERY other moving map company represented at SNF - and 
>> there
> were a lot of them - had zoom- and lots of
>> other features not present on the $15k Blue mountain-   they just kept
>> saying that the hardware in the gold box is 10 old technology,(despite
>> the fact that I had it only 14 months),  that not physically
>> upgradeable (non- socketed processor and memory) and it was too slow to
> allow for map zooming.
>>
>> My main reason to buy their box was the fact that the magic internal
>> workings were software related and would be regularly upgraded as new
>> features became available, I believe that this was the basis of their
>> sales
>> pitch- at least it was to me-  I know I was promised WX display and
>> WSI
>> weather- even checked their sales brochure when I got home and said
>> right there in big letters about that too- so now I will see how many
>> other folks have this problem or feel that this is a problem, and take it
> from there.
>>
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]
>> On Behalf Of Richard J. Gentil
>> Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2007 3:49 PM
>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Blue Mountain EIFS
>>
>> Hey Alex,
>>
>> I have a new Dual EFIS/ONE waiting for delivery when I am to the point
>> of installing my panel.
>>
>> What did you find out?
>>
>> Richard
>>
>> Alex wrote:
>>> Hello Everyone-
>>> Just back from Sun N Fun, and I had an "interesting" talk with the
>>> Blue Mountain folks about what the system does and does not do, and
>>> what they promised would be available for those of us who purchased
>>> it- can I please request a show of hands from anyone that has/had one
>>> of their EIFS one units for some further discussions on this
>>> subject........ Anyone else that is not on the reflector - Rvators ect.
>> would also be helpful to speak with.
>>>
>>> Alex
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> To change your email address, visit
>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>
>>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
>>> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>
>>>
>>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
>> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
>> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose 
> Check
> new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 



More information about the Reflector mailing list